Sign in to follow this  
Matt

White patche on the nose

I have a blue 5 inch long ps. scolofi that is about one year old. It is living in a 30 (soon to be 55) gallon tank with 2 ps. zebra, 2 ps. elongatus, 2 melanicromis auratus, and 2 electric yellows. It is the biggest fish besides one other 6 inch long ps. zebra. I have been feading it 95% spirulina flakes, dry krill, dry ocean plankten, wardely cichlid crumbles, and regular tropical fish food. About two weeks ago a white spot appeared where the nose would be. It is not a hole and it it is not rased. I am alomost positive that it is not ich because it is a farly large spot. There are no signs of it going away. Do you have any clue to what this could be, or if it will harm the fish?

Thanks

Matt

Matt,

Out of curiosity, do you use crushed coral or sand as substrate? :huh:

I use crushed coral, and when my Mbuna dig through it, they scrape their noses a little bit. Their lips are white alot too. Only happens to the diggers though. My Acei and Zebras don't dig much, and they don't have it.

I have regular gravel. The tank has been set up for a while and all of the fish have there own territories so there has not been a lot of digging for a long time. I do have a lot of flagstone rock mabe it could be a scratch or something.

Guest JAW

Ok i dont mean to high jack this post or anything but i have 2 texas cichilds i got about 3 months ago when i got them they were the same color as a jack dempsey (sorry i dont have great knowledge about these fish) but about about 2 weeks ago i moved so naturally i had to clena the take and have actually added a heater since moving. I was feeding pellets since day one and they also had nice bright coloring. well to make a long story short once transplanting into the tank once we moved the bigger one seemed to pick on the little one alot (thought he was gonna kill him) well within in this last week the little once is now completely White with black zebra looking markings. I'm confused or maybe just dont have enough knowledge about these fish help. once again sorry for highjacking