Guest Jen

my fish can't breathe

Guest Jen

My fish seem to be gasping, and I've already lost five fish, I've had my tank forever it seems, and out of nowhere, my fish are dying, I did a major water change and soaked all the decor in hot water to see if it helped, I cleaned the sand out as best I could, but I heard a loud splashing, turned on the lights, and found my blue dolphin to be gasping and swimming upside down, I removed him and put him in one of my other tanks, he appears to be doing better he's swimming upright, and breathing a little better, but I don't know whats wrong with my tank, I did a strip test and the results for everything from hardness to nitrite where optimum for my fish, I've tried pima fix thinking maybe they were sick, but nothing seems to be working, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! thank you

Did you check your water temperature? I live in San Diego, and when my apartment gets really hot (like it has 6 or 7 times this year) my fish seem to do the same thing. They havn't swam upside down or anything, but there is little action from them and lots of gasping. Warmer water holds less oxygen for the fish to breathe. Maybe adding an air block or rail?

Jeff

What size tank is it and how many fish do you have in it?

I think checking the tempature is a good idea. Have they been "flicking"? My clown loaches broke out with ick and I raised the temp while I medicated and during that time, my cichlids would often flick a lot but I never caught them gasping.

Nine out of ten times, when your fish are gasping, throwing some airstones in there will solve the problem.