Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dev

Will my cichlid lose his eye?

Guest Dev

Any cichlid enthusiasts out there? Or anyone that really knows their fish ailments? Help! I have a 75 gallon tank with 3 large cichlids and a very large pleco. One of my cichlids has popeye (I suspect from an injury). I treated the tank with MelaFix. The water beacme very cloudy as a result so I changed a percentage of the water a week after the med treatment ended. It's a month later and the popeye looks worse than before. The eye is protruding even more so and is cloudier. I've been toying with the idea of Marycyn, but feel squeamish about adding more meds. Do I leave it alone? Will he lose his eye? Otherwise, he is just as active as usual with a healthy appetite. ????? Thanks for any help you can offer!

try the marycyn but i fear he may still lose the eye / is the eye infectid? any white algal growth? or just cloudiness if there is algae you may have to physically scrape the growth off or risk losing the fish

Guest Dev

Wappal - Thanks for the reply! I may end up trying the Marycyn, but it looks beyond hope as it is protruding so much. I do not see any white algae growth...well, possibly just a spot...hard to tell if it is just extra cloudy in that spot or actual growth. How would I scrape the eye?

Thanks again!

Peace,

Dev

Dev,

I know this post is a bit late, but I just joined up yesterday.

Anyway, it is not a good idea to add MelaFix to an already established tank. Because it is an Anti-bacterial, it has a tendency to debilitate or destroy the nitrifying bacteria you want to keep.

Part of the reason the MelaFix didn't work could be that the filter you're using uses activated carbon for chemical filtration - the activated carbon will absorb a majority of the MelaFix.

If possible, set up a temporary hospital tank. I bought a cheap $8 box (sponge) filter, and a $4 air pump and use a 5 gal bucket I already owned. This makeshift tank also serves to quarantine your injured fish and prevent the popeye from spreading.

TheCichlidophile

B)

HI All,

I have the same problem. One of my fishes eyes is swollen and popping out. I live in Australia so I'm not sure what to get as it is my first time keeping these fish.

Does anyone have any suggestions. It has only come up in the last day or so

Thanks,