Sign in to follow this  
Guest caxles

mixing fish, is it safe?

Guest caxles

Is it safe to mix african cichlids with oscars and pacu's? I've had mine mixed in there for a long time (5 to 6 mos.)and there's no real danger present.had an eel in there with them but someone in the tank killed it. does anyone know?

pacu's will generaly live in peace w/anything oscars are rather agressive but should do ok make sure you have plenty of cover for the smaller fish and dont overcrowd your tank as for your eel any one of them could have killed it

Guest Devin Loendorf

wait how big will ur africans get? if they are the 1s who only get 6" eventually ur o will either kill or eat them. personal experience

I would have to disagree. Oscars will generally eat anything that will fit into its mouth and kill anything else. Seeing how they get to be 12"+ thats a big mouth. Maybe if you had some mbuna or something they would manage to survive for awhile by hiding in their caves all day long, but wheres the fun in that? MAYBE if you had one of the larger predatory open water species it would work but its still pretty doubtful.

Not to mention that Africans need way different water and enviroment requirements. A full grown Oscar would destroy a typical African aquascape and wouldn't thrive in the high pH.

Guest Nuttie

Get rid of the Oscar as it will eventually ruin your African tank. Even if your Africans are large enough not to fit in the Oscar's mouth eventually they will be and your Oscar will also tear up your tank decor. Take it from someone who has been there and done that.