Guest Cassie6550

New to Cichlids

Guest Cassie6550

Hello all,

I have a 29 gallon set up with 5 African Cichlids in it, did have 6 but i lost one yesterday. Ironically the day i lost one is the day i realized that i had a baby, which i guess you guys call a "fry". I have what seems to be a Labeochromis Caeruleus. I dont know if it is a male or a female. It was a beautiful yellow color, with some black. Now it is a dark purple or blue metalic looking color. I was assuming it was changing color for mating purposes but wasnt sure if it would mate seeing he was the only one of his kind in there. But i was wondering if it was a male or female. It seems to be the most dominate in the tank, and did have a few white dots on its tail area (not an illness) before it changed completly to its new color, actually they were there back when it was yellow. I was wondering if it was a mom or a dad? We call him Hank, he was was moving stones with his mouth almost digging out areas underneath the decor in the tank. Besides that fish we have 1 blue fish with black stripes we are thinking to be a Pseudotropheus Demasoni but again this is just from online identification. Also in the tank is a calico colored fish we were guessing this was a peacock something. We also have what looks to be an albino fish, its whitish pink as any albino animal would be. And there is one more thats stripped and we're guessing it to be a Labeochromis Sp.

"Pearlmutt" according to pictures that we have seen. The one is rather fat and not often around visible unless food is offered.

I was wondering if you could tell me if "Hank" was a male or female, and if he would ever change back into that beautiful yellow he once was. And how these guys gave birth, do they lay eggs or give live birth?

Also what should i do with the fry. I have a net breeder to put him in but he's so tiny right now i would be scared i wouldnt catch him in that tank and someone else in there would. Also what is he eating, and if i do catch him should i be putting mom in there, and how do i know who mom is?

Sorry for the 20 questions I have other tanks with different fresh water fish in them but i had no idea how indepth african cichlids were thanks for any help you can offer...

Guest Guest

If i understand you right the fry is a libichromis carelus? if it has blue on its head it is a dominant male. they usually dont get that untill they are about 3 or 4 inces long though. fry usually eat microscopic food for while but brine shrip and crushed up flake food wook well. if the fry is not a libichromis carelus than explain what it looks like. Although, fry are often hard to name unless you know who was the mother.

I dont think that you have a ps. Demasoni because he would be the most aggressive and would not let the labichromis be the most dominant in the tank. maby if you have a digital camera and are able to put pics on that would help me idenify them.

I'm sorry for the confussion. The fry is tiny and unidendifiable. I was in contact with a fish breeder who told me my libeaochromis or whatever it is called the yellow one would not be a yellow libeapchromis because of the fact that he changed colors. They said that he would be a mix of 2 types of cichlids. And that he would most likely not turn back to his original yellow. I was also told that he had changed his coloring for mating purposes and would change back... Can someone clerify this one for me please???? Also i was told something about how an african can enter a tank as a female yet can end up changing into a male due to the male to female ratio in the tank, is this true? I was under the impression my fish were live barers, yet another web site message board told me they were egg layers is this true, and can one male lay eggs with more than one female? I have spotted a second baby in my tank last night and the breeder told me that they would be more than one most likely, how many should i be expecting. My plan for the fry was to put a tank divider in until i was sure that they were going to make it in which case i would go ahead and set up another tank for them, do i incude mom and dad in the divided off area or are they ok by themselves? I'm so thankful that people are helping me out with this one im not very informed on how to handle fish babys i guess... thanks guys