Cindy

Please help me!!! I have eggs.

Hello all! I'm new here and new to the babies for my fish lol. I just got my cichlids on Feb. 15. They been doing great. They gave me a female & male. The female had a big belly and it was bright purple. I thought she looked like she had eggs. Well to my surprise on Feb. 26 i noticed the male was chasing the other two fish i have in my 55 gallon tank away from the little cave rock i have in there. I looked and the female was in there and on the side of the wall in the rock was little eggs!!!! They are protecting it together. THe other fish i have in there is......Algae eater(plecostomus), L I Elongatus(reg), Pseudotropheus-Kenyi Pseudot. Now what do i need to do???? Just leave all the fish in there or take them out? And what about the mom & dad, do i leave them in their? I dont have no idea what to do.

Please help me!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Guest Guest

First of all congradulations! You have lots of options...your fry will be fine with the pleco, as I have found. I am not familiar with your other fish, but your cichlids should be able to defend the fry from, one ,that might eat them. You can set up anther tank for the babies, but I would wait at least until they are feeding on thier own......it is not easy to catch fry, mom and dad have prbably all ready worked out emergency meneuvers! I recomend what some folks call a whipping boy.A small non cichlid that operates in a higher water level [zbra, neon] to keep the parents from having to much time to fight ,if you run into that problem? Some folks believe you need to make special food, but I have found the parents break up flake and pellets for thier young anyway so I dont really do it. I would enjoy them with thier parents and just watch what happens, unless you want to start breeding for monetary gain, they will take care of them better than a human can!

Be careful When sucking gravel, thats where my cichlids hide thier frye.

55g two convicts,one pleco.one zebra, lots of fry(2 brewds)

75g two terrors ,pleco,blue lobster

20g five fry(convict)one rubber pleco

Guest Guest_Cindy

Well something has happened to my fry. I got up one morning and checked on the little wigglers at the bottom of the cave and they were gone! :unsure: But now she is going to be having more. Her belly is plup and purple again. I am thinking about after she lays the eggs and the fry becomes wrigglers put them in the fish breeder. I would have to just pick up the cave and put it all in the breeder net.

I dont know what to do really. Im not sure what happened to the first batch of fry. So i figured i better part them. Please someone help me. Am i doing the right thing??

Guest mimi

my firemouths had babies too, at least a hundred. I had a convict and a albino in the tank with them along with two plecos, my larger firemouth killed the convict when the babies came and was after the albino and the plecos. I had to take other fish out of the tank for they were in grave danger of being killed by the firemouths.