Guest Heather

Frontosa

Guest Heather

Does the Frontosa require 1 tsp of salt per gallon added to the water? I was told this by a worker at a fish store in my area, but all the research and articles I have read mention nothing about salt being added. Thanks for your time!

Guest Guest

yes all african cichlids do need salt added to balance out the water. it won't kill them if you don't add it, but they won't thrive and breed as easily.

Guest Nic Presson

A small amount of salt is good for most fish in general. I have been raising frontosas for quite a while and I find that they do much better with a descent amount of salt.

Guest Cardak

:) My advice .... use a hydrometer. Brackish water has a bit of salt in it and african cichlids thrive in brackish, high PH, water.

Dave

I usually just fill a small pyrex bowl up with salt and place it in my tank...it is almost like a stress releaver for cichlids. you don't have to put it in there, but it isn't going to kill your fish either...

Guest Guest

I put in 1 dl of salt (non ionized) for every 100L of water you change, every change. change 50% of the water every week! i do this and I have new fry all the time. even from species most people label as difficult to breed. tex my frontosa.

I wouldn't add Table salt if that is what you are thinking. I use Cichlid Lake Salt by Seachem. This is speicfily made for cichlids. Most good Cichlid stores carry it or something like that.