ive recently changed my tank from a communial fish to now having mbuna cichlids i am in interest to no if it is possible to put flint rock in the tank with these fish i havent put it in up to now but i have boiled it for 3 hours but if any body knows please advise .

Guest Guest_Roger_*

ive recently changed my tank from a communial fish to now having mbuna cichlids i am in interest to no if it is possible to put flint rock in the tank with these fish i havent put it in up to now but i have boiled it for 3 hours but if any body knows please advise .

Flint rock use will pose no problems at all and will on the other hand offer no benefits either. But you may want to consider a Carbonate type of base rock to help with water buffering much as in saltwater tanks. A great place to order these at are High Rock its a nice rock and at a great cost... These Rock made of Lime will start to dissolve and release their Calcium and Carbonates into the surrounding water at a P.H of 8.1 or so.. Will help with the need to add buffering agents into the aquarium.

Good Luck with the tank.

To be honest with you, these fish are extremely hardy. I would say that you can use just about any type of rock you want.