Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ILOVEMR.GOBY

help my discus is sick

Recommended Posts

I am not sure if anyone can help but two weeks ago I got a pigeon discus he is small. He looks skinny and is not eating and starting to look a little stiff. he stays mostly at the top of the water. Could this because of a parasites. My other two discus are not showing any signs of being sick. What do I use to kill a parasite he may have.. I am not sure if I should use any of the parasite meds I have for my tropical fish? No body at the pets store know anything about discus. So I am in the dark.. Also doesnt certain medicaines cause them to be infertile?

 

 

Please contact me ASAP

 

aprilwh31@aol.com

 

April

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not heard about any common medications causing fish to become infertile.

 

It could be a parasite but it is more likely suffering from shock. Its pretty common for fish to refuse to eat and act strangely after being added to another tank. Did you quarentine this fish? How did you acclimate it? With fish as sensitive as Discus I wouldn't be surprised if its odd bahavior is caused by the move, especially if it came from a tank with water significantly different than yours. Staying towards the top of the tank can often be a sign of being bullied also. What of pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings does the tank have?

 

You can medicate your fish with something for internal parasites but I wouldn't recommend it. Its best not to medicate unless you are absolutely sure its necessary since excessive, unnecessary meds will only stress a weakened fish more. If you do medicate it, make sure to move it to a hospital tank to avoid wreaking havoc on your biological filtration and to keep the meds away from your other fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My discus died.. Yes he was getting bullied up a little by the one of the other discus.. I had three at the time. My tank is fine and i add water every 7 mins to his bag.. so he was not in shock and i did have him for two weeks before he died. He was skinny when i got him from the pet store. I have a full tester kit for everything. I do believe he was sick with something. I have had fish all my life but owning discus has been new to me but i have read everything that i could them before venturing into owning them. It just seems to be hard to figure out in they are sick and with way disease. My other two discus are doing just fine.. thanks for helping

 

April

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×