angelasjenkins@comcast.net

Need Help IDing a Ciclhild

I got this fish and a 29 gallon tank from a guy on ebay. He says it's a Tanganyka cichlid. On another list, a person identified it as a Malawi Golden Cichlid. I'd like to add more fish, but understand I need to idenitify what I have before I do that. Can someone help me? I've attached the picture as an attachment. Is that right? Thanks so much for your help.

Don't know what a malawi golden is. Maybe you should post the pic on the internet somewhere and provide a link to us. I hear the photobucket is great for that. You could even upload a pic here (in the photo gallery) and just provide a link from there. It is virtually impossible to ID a fish based on your description.

Jeff

Positively melanichromis auratus... now ill worn you he or she is going to become uncontrollably agressive when he or she is an adult. if you want to get other types of african cichlid and want them all to have tails when they are grown up i advise u to sell that fish. this is only my own person expeiance so do wat you want. glad to be of help!

MAtt

It is either a Menlachromis Auratus or Chipoke...either way you have a nasty little bugger on your hands. Do some research on these bad asses over the internet. You may decide to take it back. I had a Auratus and the day he matured, he started kicking everone in the tail. Also, if it is a male, when they mature, the yellow completely disappears and you will have black on white barring horizontally. The min recommended tank size for these guys is 75g. Good luck if you decide to keep him.

Jeff