Sign in to follow this  
farce422

Sick Oscar

Usually when I wake up and when I get home from work he/she <im going to assume my oscar is a he as I proceed> gets all excited and swims to top of tank shaking its tail real fast. His colors never dulled either till recently, hes the only fish in a 29 gallon aquarium (which I know is a bit small, but when I moved I sold my 180gallon and gave my 55 gallon to my dad). Hes only about 5 inches long though so I dont think the tank size is an issue yet. Recently though he has just been hanging out at the botttom of tank and not eating, his colors are not as bright either, they brighten up a little when I come to the tank to check on him. Ive treated the tank for Ick, going to purchase some meds for HITH after work and do a water change when I get home from work tonight. Other then that I'm at a lost I really like this fish hes got a lot of personality and dont want to lose him, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies, and good luck all you fish people out there. :unsure:

,my past experience with oscars are that they are really lazy, but if you turn the heater up and give them some space to move around they're really playful, but most of the time they're lazy.

Guest dmbuss

Usually when I wake up and when I get home from work he/she <im going to assume my oscar is a he as I proceed> gets all excited and swims to top of tank shaking its tail real fast. His colors never dulled either till recently, hes the only fish in a 29 gallon aquarium (which I know is a bit small, but when I moved I sold my 180gallon and gave my 55 gallon to my dad). Hes only about 5 inches long though so I dont think the tank size is an issue yet. Recently though he has just been hanging out at the botttom of tank and not eating, his colors are not as bright either, they brighten up a little when I come to the tank to check on him. Ive treated the tank for Ick, going to purchase some meds for HITH after work and do a water change when I get home from work tonight. Other then that I'm at a lost I really like this fish hes got a lot of personality and dont want to lose him, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies, and good luck all you fish people out there.  :unsure:

1009[/snapback]

I have two Oscar and went through the same problem Lthough my guys are very large they are atill lasy (very) Do not change their diet you may want to invest in a larger filter. They are kinda big poopers. Good luck

Rather than his size, his growth rate should be a pretty good indicator of how soon he will need a larger tank. He should be growing 1" to 1.5" a month until he hits about 10 or 11" and then his growth should slow down. If its already slower than that he might be stunted, the water quality might be really poor, or his diet might be lacking something.

Rather than medicating the tank for various things you aren't sure he has, step up the water changes. An 5" Oscar in a 29g is going to need somewhere in the area of 2 20% water changes a week even if filtration is good just to keep down your nitrates. Excessive medicating is stressful to fish and can further weaken them. Many meds will also damage your biological filtration which is absolutely necessary with Oscars, especially in undersized tanks.

I would check your water parameters before doing anything else. If your fish does have Ick or HITH its almost always due to poor water quality. If you don't have ammonia/nitrate/nitrite test kits most LFS will test for free.

Also, if you feed live feeders, stop until the fish gets better. When you resume, quarentine them. Live feeders are known to carry dozens of diseases, parasites, harmful bacteria, etc that can be passed on to your fish. They also carry very little nutrional value. A good pellet would be much better.

Good luck with the fish and I hope you find him a new tank too. They usually need to be upgraded to a 55g within 6 months and a 75g somewhere around a year and a half.