Sign in to follow this  
mizzel

Snails!

This morning while doing weekly maintenence on my 50 gal cichlid aquarium, I found a little snail. Because of a snail problem, I moved my fish into this NEW tank about 2 months ago, and they were the only thing from the old tank that came to the new tank. Everything else was brand new: water, gravel, decor, filter, tubing, EVERYTHING but the fish was new. I did put in 2 new plants after carefully washing them and inspecting them for snail eggs. I don't want another snail mess on my hands, does anyone know what I can do to get rid of them without hurting the fish? I'm so frustrated!

Guest Brian

Ive heard of some species of fish that eat snails ask at a good aquarium shop.

I've heard of Clown Loaches used to eat snails, but the catch 22 on them is that they need a constant supply of snails for food. I was hoping to curb the snail explosion before it happens instead of doing damage control with fish I'm not interested in keeping. Thanks for the suggestion, but any other ideas? I'll never go to petsmart again!

Guest Bubba

My "Harlequin Loach" is tenacious. He flips rocks over to get them! Also, big enough to hold his own.