Sign in to follow this  
TurtleTurds

What is he/she?

Nimbochromis Livingstonii...It hails from Lake Malawi in Africa, and grows quite large. What size tank do you have it in? It can reach over 12" in length and requires a pretty big tank. They also like to eat a pretty protein rich diet. Ghost Shrimp from a pet store once a week is good with a quaity pellet food for every day feeding. They are best kept with other fish that grow quite large, because he will try and eat smaller ones if they are available.

It is either a female or a juvenile. Depending on his size...if he is around 5 or 6 in or larger than it is probably a female...if not you can either vent it or wait and see.

Good luck, its an addicting hobby.

Jeff

It is in a 40 gallon tall with no other fish. I would like to put more fish in with it but was advised not too. It's about 3 inches in length. I have Hakari Cichlid Gold that it's getting and I will get some ghost shrimp as well.

How fast do they usually grow? What other kind of fish can I add to the tank if any?

First, I would get some sand and rocks for it...make sure you clean them really well.

There are lots of fish that you can put in the tank with it. If you are going to get a bigger tank to house this guy when he gets big then I see no reason why you couldn't get a Nimbochromis Venestus. Maybe a Scianochromis Fryeri for some nice blue color. There are lots of options, you are just going to need fish that get pretty big in the tank with him. He will eat most Malwi Mbuna.

Good luck

Jeff

I have a cichlid just like that... you could probably add another cichlid in with him as long as its not smaller. Cichlids can get very territorial, and may kill a fish if its smaller.