Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

BUMMBLE BEE NOT EATING

Guest Brian

HEY i HAVE TWO BUMMBLE BEES IN MY 55 GALLON TANK HAVE HAD THEM FOR ABIUT 1 YEAR NOW 0NE TURNED SOLID BLACK AND TGE OTHER STAYED KINDA YELLOW AND SMALLER. jUST RECENTLY THE LARGER SOLID BLACK ONE HAS QUIT EATING AND IS STAYING IN A CAVE I HAVE HAD OTHER CICHLIDS SPAWN BUT THEY ALWAYS SWELL THERE MOUTHS UP. I DONT KNOW THE SCIENTIFIC NAME OF THE BUMMBLE BEE BUT ARE THEY MOUTH BRUEDERS AND HOW DO i SEX THEM DOES IT SOUND LIKE THEY HAVE SPAWNED ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP. tHANKS bRIAN IN DALLAS

Bumble Bee Cichlids' scientific name is Pseudotropheus Crabro, an they are mouthbrooders.

The darker one should be the male; however, both males and females are capable of changing color very rapidly. There's no reason for the male to hide unless he's ill or being picked on.

What are your water parameters? Is there another more aggressive male in the tank with them?

Guest Brian

Ya there are some other aggressive males in the tank but he has always been the dominant fish in the tank. I think he has been picked on by some of the others maybe it is time to rearange the tank. I think I have two males and yes they do change colors from time to time. He has started peaking out a little more every day. My water parameters look fine. Any other input would be helpful.

did he dig a cave to try and court the female in there to spawn? some mbuna do that. i don't know for sure about bumblebee's but it could be something to look in to.

jeff

Guest Brian

Ya he has been digging alot lately but all my mbunas do that. My fish is doing much better back to his usual self.