Sign in to follow this  
lori_gilhooley

Baby convivts,need help with food,care

Hi,

My best friend just died, and I inherited a tank with about 12 baby convicts, 2 albino cats and a placo. I know nothing about cichlids! I have had tropical fish before, so I know how to take care of a tank, but what do these buggers eat? Do they always eat the same food, or should it change as the get bigger? They are about 1 1/2 inches from nose to tip of tail, some are a little smaller (females?) so they are not really young. They were born in his big tank, and moved to a smaller tank alone *the one I got....55 gal* My children are fascinated with them, I would like to purchase a colorful one to put in there, can I do that? Will another cichlad eat the youngsters? How big should they be before I can add a new one? And what would be a good one to out in there (preferably colorful) Any advice would be appreciated, I have no idea what they need. they came with a bottle of brine shrimp flakes.

Lori :unsure:

well you can probably put the pink convict in with them to add some solor.. alot of people have jewels in with their cons too.. altho I have not had good experience with jewels.. the fish you add has to have a small enough mouth not to be ablke to fit your current occupants in. Most cons will eat you basic cichlid pellets and cichlid flakes.. they will also eat blood worms and brine shrimp.. they are a pretty hardy fish and most tap water is ok for them..

heres a basic profile page for you that gives you an idea of what convicts like..

http://fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/convict.xml

http://fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/convict.xml this is a link for a basic profile on convicts at the bottum of the page in blue you can click on where it says "compatible species" and it gives a list of fish that can go in with the convicts.. Hope this helps..

feed them pellets, that's their daily diet. you can feed them even worms out from ur backyard. brine shrimp, krill will give make their true colore out.