Sign in to follow this  
mary-rose

Big Pleco and Little Pleco

I have a large Pleco (not sure of the name - medium brown with very high dorsal fin and completely covered with darker "leopard" spots) that has grown to about six inches. I'm in process of acquiring a small (2 1/2 inch) Zebra Pleco. I know their import has been banned - I'm getting this one from a breeder. Do I dare keep them in the same tank? Zebras being so pricey now, I don't want anything to happen to this little guy. Plus, I've always wanted one! Also, any suggestions about the specific requirements of Zebras? Are they different from "regular" Plecos? I know they need lots of hiding places - how can I arrange to see this one once in a while? Thanks for any input you can provide.

www.planetcatfish.com

Yes Zebras have some specific requirements. Planet catfish has some excellent profiles and great articles. I'm sure Zebra Plecs have been featured as the catfish of the month in which case there will be a very informative article written up on them. You can also try to identify what your other Pleco is with their ginormous collection of pictures. If you can provide a picture, they also have some very knowledgeful people on their forums who would be able to ID it for your and let you know how compatable the two species are. Sometimes plecos will not get along and will fight by sucking onto each other leaving circular bite marks.

I have several plecos and have different varities together and i have kept 7 inches with 1/2 inchers and never had a problem. As with any addition i would add it and watch it closly. :rolleyes: