lisasara

pregnant yellow lab

I have a pregnant yellow lab that I put into a separate holding tank within my big tank. Is this the correct thing to do? W :D hen does she let the babies out of her mouth? Once she does, when do I put her back into the main tank?

Lisa

Guest shawn

I assume you mean fish and not yellow lab dog...lol...anyways most cichlids hold onto their babies from 2-4 weeks at least from my experience. Separating is good but could wait for awhile. She will let the babies out when they can swim around and all of my moms (regardless of species) have not eaten their newborns but some say that they will. So the female can be put back in the main tank as soon as the babies are out of her mouth. The only thing she would do is protect them and does not need to be there to teach her fry anything. Hope some of that helps.

smv

I have a pregnant yellow lab that I put into a separate holding tank within my big tank.  Is this the correct thing to do? W :D hen does she let the babies out of her mouth?  Once she does, when do I put her back into the main tank?

Lisa

739[/snapback]

You really can't keep the mother in with the fry as stated before, but placing her back in the main tank right after she spits could be bad. How many female labs do you have, or just how many aggressive mbuna? When fish are holding they don't really eat, once in awhile she will take small amounts of food in to let the babies snack on something. After around 3 weeks of not eating she will be a bit weaker then the rest and may need a few days in a recovery tank. Another holding net will probably suffice...

jeff

my past yellows i would leave in the tank, but since you took mother and kids out, you can take the mother back out when she's healthy and when you can see the eyes on the fry.