Wrathchild

Most Aggressive Central American Cichlid.

What is the most aggressive Central American Cichlid?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most aggressive Central American Cichlid?

• Red Devils (Amphilophus labiatus)
    • Archocentrus octofasciatus
    • Firemouth (Thorichthys meeki)
    • Salvini (Cichlasoma salvini)
    • Dovii (Parachromis dovii)
    • Other (Please list)

I kept a male Dovii for many years in a large aquarium. He grew to a good 15 inches and was quite bulky. Unfortunately I have no pictures but it was a magnificent fish. It owned the tank. I could not keep any fish with it, even when it was young. Once when I tried to introduce a large Jaguar it rammed my hand as I lowered the fish into the tank. The tank had a large rock sructure in it with good hiding places but although small fish tried to hide the Dovii would ram the rocks trying to shift them to get at the fish. Beleive me, these fish are very very aggresive. :angry:

what about the green terror is that a central american or a south american? either way it will kick the crap out of a red devil in an instant

i have a five inch green terror and he is very aggresive. i had a midas cichlid in the same tank with him that was almost 8 inches long and my green terror killed him. he harasses my two full grown oscars and theyll try to eat him but hes too big.he is almost twice as small as my oscars but yet he still messes with them/. so i dont guess size matters in the fish world

I have had numerous Red Devils and Green Terrors and though some Terrors can be aggressive the most are pussies. Red Devils are extremely aggressive but of the two Dovii I have had, both outgrew and dominated the Red Devil in the same tank. My vote is with the Dovii.

P.S. In general the Jack Dempsey is in another league and should probably be kept with goldfish and guppies and other worthless whimps.

I HAVE A BREEDING COLONY OF JAGUARS AND THEY ARE DAMN MEAN THEY WILL POUND A DEMPSEY (WHICH I ALSO HAVE BEAUTIFUL ELECTRIC BLUE) I HAD TO GET RID OF MY RED DEVIL HE WAS TWICE THE JAGUARS SIZE AND THEY WERE POUNDING IT THEY KILLED 2 GREEN TERRORS AND 1 BUTTERCOFFERI AFRICAN

Guest Devin loendorf

i think oscars are pretty aggresive although i think they're a SA CICHLID

Guest KILLER

I keep Herichtys carpinte and Octofasciatum with one green terror...

The green terror doesn't have a chance against any of them.

The jack dempsey male and the carpinte male got simular strength...

Here is my understanding of Green Terrors. The Green Terrors that you find in lfs today, are not the fish that were originally imported under that name. The 'original' Green Terror lived up to its name and was on par, if not more aggressive than a Red Devil. That fish has all but ceased to be imported and the fish you see labeled as Green Terrors now can actually be one of several look-alike species. Thats why their level of aggression varies so much more than other fish. I'm sure some people have GTs that couldn't be housed with anything else, and some people have had some that were more of a community fish. Feel free to correct me, Americans really aren't my area of knowledge, thats just what I've been told.

Jack Dempsey's are the worst! They could take down anyhting any day, one once took down an oscar and almost killed a pacu I owned!

When I first started keeping Cichlids I bought a Jack Dempsey and 3 Electric Yellow's and 1 menlachromis aurotosis (spelling)...The 1 menlochromis beat the crap out of the Jack Dempsey that was 3 times its size...so I really don't think that Jacks are all that mean to anything but minnows, guppies, and gold fish.

Now, about keeping the Jack with the Africans...not an experience I would recommend to anyone. The wise people at Petco told me it would be a great idea and everyone would live happily ever after. They were way off. The people @ Petco are not the people that you should go to for advice on fish keeping. I was never told about cycling my tank and all the other things I needed to know about cichlids...SO I started to do research on the internet about what I can keep together and how to do it properly. That is where sites like this one come in handy...message boards are the best...

Now I want 3 tanks, 1 for Haps/Peacocks, 1 for Tang's, and one for New World...some day I will have em all!

Guest fishguy

Dovi's are the most agressive. Umbee's, Trimac's and Festae's (red terrors)come in a close second, followed by Midas, Red Devils and Jags. Dovi's will simply outgrow everything else and kill them. I have had all these fish at one time and that is my experience with them.

Green Terrors and Jack Dempseys can hold there own in some cases depending on their personality. Some are really mean and others are not. I had a Dempsey that more than held his own against a Red Devil and a Jag but he eventually got out grown and I had to move him.

Make sure you have enough room (at least 180 gallons) and that should help with agression.

Guest cichlidiot

1st off, Jack dempseys are hardly a heavy weight when it comes to CA cichlids. MOST red devils will EASILY dispatch a JD. a JD is barely more agressive than an oscar. green terror, same thing (over rated).

red terrors (festae), they r somthin' else. they are brutally fast destructive fish, killing & de-scaling other cichlids in seconds, it seems.

trimacs are another big bruiser, capable of massive death & destruction.

of the guapotes, Dovii, motas & grammodes seem the lay down the smack pretty well.

Guest killbait

jaguars are the most agressive. I just bought a red devil and put it with the jaguar and the jaguar dashed it atleat evry 5 seconds and the devil wouldnt defend himself. He woulda got his ass killed so I had to switch him to a different tank. :angry:

Guest Don Shartzer Jr.

I have owned all the fish mentioned, except the Dovi, and I believe it is somewhat a matter of individual temperment. However, in my experience , I would say that the Red Devils are more consistently aggressive ( meaning I have had more trouble getting them to not kill stuff in a tank smaller than 100 gallons) than any of the other fish mentioned. They all will kill stuff equally as well in a 55 tank or smaller due to the fact that the tanks are too small and will max out agression levels. Also, most cichlids only worry about the amount of room in the footprint of the tank, ie.. the bottom. But I absolutey do not reccommend picking a fish based on temperment alone because you may eventually tire of your incompatible "wet pet". I have bought and sold several of these fish to get the desired temperment and know from experienceb that it is better to get a fish you enjoy lookin at because you know what you are getting.

75 gallon - Baucis 8' male Red Tiger Oscar, Philemon 7.5" female Silver Fancy Oscar

Leopold 10" clown sydonis

55 gallon - Achilles 12" Red Devil - named before Brad Pitt made it famous

55 gallon - Un-named 6" clown sydonis awaiting addition of William 2.5" Green

Terror

2-29gallon - maturing/ breeding/hospital tanks

20 gallon - Picture tank - too many different typres of common LFS fish to bother to list

Guest ba rd

Jack Dempsey's are the worst! They could take down anyhting any day, one once took down an oscar and almost killed a pacu I owned!

378[/snapback]