Sign in to follow this  
Guest jessica

babies

Guest jessica

i have AFRICAN CICHLIDS and i had one whom i got while she was preagnet and she had them yesterday however im not sure how to raise them i have the babies in a seperate nusery tank as i call it but im not sure how to feed them or any of theose other little details also i am looking to sell them but im not sure of how much and when is a good time to do so please and help would be greatly appriceated. :huh: unsure!

make sure you have a sponge filter set up first so that the babies don't get sucked in to the filter and die.

just feed them crushed spriluena flakes. keep the adults out of the nursery. that is all the advise I have. I usually just let my cichlids eat them for dinner.

A lot depends on what type of African cichlids you have. They're a pretty diverse group of fish.

I'd assume you have either mbuna or some type of hap since thats whats most commonly available. Either one will grow fine on whatever food you feed the parents only crushed up to tiny pieces. Baby brine shrimp are also a great fry food.

How much you can sell them for depends entirely on what type of cichlids they are. Something like a yellow lab you might be able to sell to another aquarist for $4 or trade them into a lfs for a third of what they will sell them at. The prices go up and up depending on how rare the fish is and the condition of the individual fish. Seeing how you don't know who the father is, keep the babies until they are at least 1" so you can get some sort of identification going. If they are hybrids, they are virtually worthless. You might be able to trade them into your lfs for a couple of bucks of store credit for the whole batch but rarely do you find anyone willing to pay money for them.

you should of left them in the previous tank until you saw their eyes on their body then took them out and start feeding them. only feed them baby food k good luck. :)