Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wendy

Sick Cichlid

Guest Wendy

:( We started an aquarium about two months ago. All is fine with PH and amonia levels. We had 8 fish in a 30 gallon. One died, had long stringly white stools. Now I have another fish in trouble. My very favorite of course, Clarrisa. She is bright yellow, not sure what type Cichlid. She is hinding in plants, is not eating that I can tell. Has been sick for a week. I'm surprised she is still alive. Her breathing seems labored. I haven't noticed any stringy stools. Please help.

thank you! Wendy :(

is the belly getting swollen on any of these fish? If so it sounds like a nasty case of the bloat going around.

There are a couple of causes of bloat...one is too much protein in their diet. Stress is another. Does one of your fish completely dominate these sick fish before they go into hiding??

Ick is another possibility. If that is the case than you need to get to the pet store to get some medicine immediately.

Guest Guest

Thanks so much for the reply. I have not noticed any signs of ick at all.

However, I have noticed that she does look a little bloated. Her mouth moves nom-stop as if she is gasping. She just stays hidden in the plant. Is there treatment if it is bloat? Thanks, Wendy

Guest Wendy

Well, I'm new to all of this. What is bloat? What does it come from?

We put a procrostimus, I'm sure I spelled that wrong, in the tank about the same time my first fish died. I'm wondering as well if this has anything to do with it.

So, what is bloat, where does it come from and could the procrostimus be a problem too? Thanks for the replies. Wendy

bloat comes from stress or a diet that is too high in protein...both of these causes inproper digestion of food and then their bellys get big. adding a pleco probably not cause bloat. it may cause a little stress, but I can't see it being enough to cause bloat.

Guest Wendy

thanks Richardsville. I bought some meds last night and put in tank. It said to turn off filter. We took the charcoal out of the filter pump. It also said to turn off UV. We just turned the light off in the aquarium and closed the blinds. I hope this helps and I hope I am doing this right. The meds conver intestinal infection, tail rot/popeye, etc. We also bought some food that is not protein. Thanks for the help. Wendy :)

you may want to figure out what kind of fish you have and get some more that are more friendly towards the fish you have. Maybe take out the most aggressive one?? If it is aggression that is causing all this bloat than it won't stop until you have 1 fish left...

Hi, I read your article. I have always been under the belief that "bloat" and other such ailments are due to intestinal protozoa (the same type that causes hole in the head in Oscars and other large fish). If I were you, I would try a course of metronidazole. Try to purchase the plain metronidazole (not the one that contains copper sulfate). Treat at the package recommended level. I try to separate to a hospital tank if possible, but if not I have never had any ill effects on my other fish or biological filter in my main tank (I don't know about inverts and plants though).

I have never used this site before, so I hope I am doing it the right way. If you get something weird as a reply, my apologies. Jennifer

Have you checked your water lately? Not just ammonia but nitrite and nitrate also.

Whenever anything goes wrong with any fish, it should be the first thing you do. Poor water quality is the number one cause of fish sickness since it weakens the fish and opens them up to a number of infections and parasites.

If your fish is bright yellow, it could be a yellow lab which would make it an unlike canidate for bloat. Bloat, as far as I've read, is always caused by too much protein in a mbuna's diet. Yellow labs are unique in that they can actually handle more protein in their diet than most other mbuna.

Try to figure out exactly what fish you have. If you have a bright yellow one its probably some sort of African. What where they sold to you as? Once you identify exactly what you have, it helps everyone else to figure out exactly whats wrong with them. www.MalawiMayhem.com has awesome species profiles for nearly every known cichlid from Malawi. www.cichlid-forum.com has a lot of great species profiles for common cichlids (from all the lakes, plus the Americans).

Until then, I would make sure the water is sparkling clear. Sick fish are weak and are not able to fight off other illness like a healthy fish. Watch the tank for awhile and make sure no fish are being bullied, again stress weakens fish and makes them prone to illness. Feed a low-protein diet if you think you might have mbuna (something like spirulina flakes) and be especially careful not to overfeed which can cause health problems. Also, try tossing in a few lightly cooked peas into the tank every other day as they act as a natural laxative. Make sure to take the outer shell off them first, otherwise its hard for the fish to get at them.