Sign in to follow this  
Guest Will

Water depth

Guest Will

Hey everyone I need help fast. How shallow can my water be for my cichlids to survive. I have a 30 gallon tank and want to make it into a small habitat with a water fall at the top and plants. So basically I was looking toward only filling it half way. Please respond and tell me if this is ok. Also I have ten medium sized cichlids.

Thanks!

-Will-

What exactly is a medium sized cichlid???

Cichlids usually only swim from side to side, going up usually to feed on what ever you put in the tank. That is why the foot print is so important when considering the number of cichlids you are going to put in a tank. The number of cichlids you will put in a 65 gallon tank with a foot print of 48X12X18 is no different than a 55 gallon with the dimensions of 48X12X12...

30 gallons is awfully small for a cichlid tank. What type of fish are you keeping? I would suppose that if they are juvinile Yellow Labs than you should have no problem. Anything else, you may want to look in to getting a bigger tank.

I also reccommend that you fill the tank 3/4 of the way full. Having a higher water level makes it easier on you pumps since they don't have to pump the water as far.

Hope that helps...next time give a little bit more info about the contents of the tank. The more info the better.

sounds like you will need a much larger tank. are you having any agression problems with a tank that size?

how big exactlly are your fish?