Sign in to follow this  
WryBub

Sucking Catfish Vs Bottom Feeders

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what type of catfish I can put in my tank.

I am a little advserse to sucking catfish because the last catfish i had sucked the scales off my fish and they froze to death.

Are botton feeders just as good?

thanks

Bottom feeders as you intend it are just as good, but they won't eat algea off the glass or other surfaces. I noticed when I vacumed out the tank that there was considerably less junk on the bottom than before I had one of them bottom feeders.

I decided to go with 2 clown loaches and 5 bristlenose catfish (quite small in comparison to plecos) they seem fine for the moment and after 2 days my tank is sparkling!!

The reputable fish breeder I buy my animals off said I shouldnt have a problem.

I'll just have to keep my eye on them!

:D

Cory cats do surprisingly well also.. not in african cichlid tanks tho because the africans tend to attack their sails and stress the fish to death.

I decided to go with 2 clown loaches and 5 bristlenose catfish (quite small in comparison to plecos) they seem fine for the moment and after 2 days my tank is sparkling!!

Bristlenoses are Plecos. Pretty much all catfish with a sucker mouth are Plecos.

Clown loaches freaking rock.

If you have africans you should stick with a catfish since loaches do not naturally live in water with that high of a ph...there are a few different species of syno's from Africa and they work great.

other cichlid types? Use what ever you want...I would get loaches because I think they are cool...

I have a 55 gallon aquarium and I just purchased my six african cichlids for the first time and I was wondering what bottom feeders I could put in there and what other if any other regular fish could I add? very confused