Sign in to follow this  
gello99

plants and afr. cichlids

hello. i have several malawi/tanganika cichlids and was wondering if anyone has had success inluding live plants with them.

any tips and pics are appreciated.

btw, i changed the castle in my 55gal cichlid tank from self-made legos to self made clay castles. will post pics in a couple days.

plants and african cichlids isn't impossible...mbuna's will usually eat them up on you so I don't think it is recommended with them. Haps and Peacocks don't really eat plants...that may help. I am not sure about Tangs though...

Some plants handle the hard, alkaline water that Africans live in much better than others so its best to research your plants before you buy them. Some will never thrive in your African's water.

I have good luck keeping Hornwort (ceratophyllum dermersum) in with my cichlids. It's really a floating plant that dosn't root, but you can anchor it into the substrate. It's an easy plant to keep, and my fish don't bother it much. It can grow really tall, so I replant clippings and do regular trimmings on them. My cichlids have picked apart some other plants that I've used, but these have been ok. I also think it helps that I give my fish veggies pretty frequently, and they ravage them! They absolutely love zucchini. Good Luck!

most tanganikya fish are not vegitarians, they eat meat. so therefore you can keep most pants with them. i currently have about 12 assorted plants in a 30 gallon tank with 5 nelamprologus multis and sevreral juiles.

MAtt