frank_1947

New Guy here

I just started a new tank, 30 gal with South American Cichlids, I bought 2 oscars about 3 to 4 inches, 1 Jack Dempsey and 1 Convict, so far they seem to be getting along, I will eventually go to a bigger tank, as I learn their dislikes and what they like, I just set up my tropicals in a 75 gal tank useing a Fluval 404 canister, man I will never use any other filter but the Fluval 04 series, I am useing a 204 on my 30 gal for my cichlid, that used to be for tropicals.

I hope a new tank is on the way soon, those Oscars should be growing 1"-1.5" a month. I think JDs have a similar growth rate as well.

Whats in the 75g?

snached

I chnaged my mine since I last posted and I put the Cichlid in the 75 Gal and left others in 30 Gal.

Others not in tank with Cichlid are Swordtail, Betta, Silver Dollar, Lyretail, I had Balla shark and cat fish in there also but put them with Cichlid, the Bala is a great clean up fish, I think more so then the catfish.

Can a person mix African Cichlids with South American, There sure are some pretty Africans at walmart and petsmart.

Generally its a bad idea, although some species will mix better than others. A lot of people mix West African cichlids like Kribs with New Worlds. Mbuna are the most common Africans to be found at pet stores and probably the worst to mix with New Worlds. On the whole, its just better to set up a Rift Lakes tank.

I have been told that some africans can sometimes act as a dither fish for some American cichlids. It needs to be an aggressive american though so the africans do not nip it to death. This is what I have been told not what I have personally seen.

:unsure: Yes, I have African Chiclids and they are agressive even with each other. One of mine at the moment has Popeye.. I have treated it with Triple Sulfur but it seems worse... any suggestions?