Sign in to follow this  
Mrbigfish

under gravel filter?

How do you feel about undergravel filters?I have access to a forty gal tank and it has an under gravel filter tyhat I hate to throw away.however when I cleaned it out there was a considerable amount of dirt under it.

I think they're alright but they are a poor choice for most cichlid tanks. Cichlids like to dig and they will uncover the plate. If I was getting a tank that already had one in, I would probably keep it in the tank, but I wouldn't factor it in when I was calculating how much filtration I had on the tank.

If you don't keep it in the tank, they make nifty tank dividers.

thanks, I may need tank dividers and they already are the right size.I may need to seperate the dempseys, and convicts,I think if I have enough hiding places,rocks,and caves I can get by w/o dividers.Should be getting 40-55 gal tank this w/e to start cycling.

Yeah, a divider is handy to have around just in case someone gets out of line.

Grrr...I wish I could start cycling my 55g this weekend, I'm jealous.

Haha, my boyfriend didn't even want another tank but we got it for free so its hard to say no. He was pissed when he found out how much the filters were going to cost so I neglected to tell him how much the fish were going to be...and the shipping for the fish...and all the limestone....and the shipping for the limestone...and the million other things I'll end up buying. Its the freaking stand thats really going to do him in though.

I have an empty 55g in the garage, its going to get my yellow labs, clown loaches and maybe my rainbow fish (cause I don't know what to do with them) from my 29g plus another 15 or so different African cichlids and some Synodontis catfish.

My 29g has 3 yellow labs, 3 clown loaches, rainbow fish, and a lone zebra danio. When those fish move out its going to be a coldwater tank with the goldfish and maybe some white cloud minnows....and maybe a dojo loach, but I'm not sure if a 29g is big enough to one.

My 10g has 4 goldfish, I got the tank from my mom and two of those goldfish have been in there with only a UGF for like 5 years. Poor guys. I don't know exactly what to put in it, but its going to be a planted tank.

I live in Philly and there is a great fish store here called the hidden reef.I've been in many fish stores in my life but have never seen such a variety of fresh and salt water fish.Found a great price on a 55/w stand and hood $240. will be buying tomorrow.They have great prices on everything,high and low end.

I wish I had a good pet store in my area. Theres one I've heard of pretty close to me but I've been too lazy to go check it out. I'll just end up buying something I shouldn't anyways.

I really, really like cories. I wish I had a tank to put some in. I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to let us get one more tank so I can have angel fish and cories, I've got the whole thing planned out but he was pretty unexcited when I told him about it. He had angels and cories when I met him and he killed them all (which is what happens when you only clean your overstocked tank every 3-4 months) and now since he had a bad experiance, he thinks they're too hard of fish to keep.

Congrats on the new tank.

build your own stand, I build all my stands, here is a easy way to do it, if you do not have the tools to build a stand from scratch, go to Home Depot, or any store that sells finished or unfinished cabinets, buy a unfinished cabinet (OAK) now buy a piece of Oak the width of the cabinet and the length you want, they will cut it for you glue on to top of cabinet, stain it , and you have a fish stand, that will hold 30 gal for sure , the bigger the tank just add another set of cabinets.

If you have table saw and a miter saw you can build one from scratch, soon as I figure out how to upload a picture I will take pictures of the big stand I just built for my 75 gal.

I've been pricing unfinished bookcases because I have a freaking ton of books sitting around on crappy Ikea shelves that look like they are about to go and I noticed some nice cabinets. The ones they had there didn't come out to much cheaper than buying a regular stand though, but I haven't looked many places.

I was thinking about getting some wood and seeing if I could make one of those little Eclipse 12 stands they sell everywhere. I like the way they look and its a pretty simple design. The one the stores sell is probably made out of particle board or something.

That is a great idea using old underground filters for seperators. Duh, its so obvious, I cant believe I didnt' think of it. I guess I really do learn something new every day.

I have tanks set up both ways , some with UGF's and some without. I am slowly doing away with the UGF's . As my cichlids get bigger they dig more and they uncover the filter plate and then it doesn't work properly. I am slowly going to all sand substrate in my tanks. If you don't already have it in I wouldn't use it .

Hey snatched if you want a place to get plains for building your own tank stand check out www.garf.org Go to the DIY section and select tank stand construction , you just put the size stand you want to build and it does all the math for you. Tells you how many and how long you need to cut each peice of wood and how to put it all together. It's a snap !!! Plus it alot cheaper !!!!! :)

When I bought my first tank, it came with UF and I thought it was a decent system until I went to clean it. After a couple months of planning, I then added an Ehiem filter (60g. model), took out the UF, and added sand. I used sand from Home Depot or Lowes called "pool filter sand" (a tan, almost white colored sand, and cost is under $5.00).

First I added the sand into a bucket and washed it out VERY good, this is to clean the sand not sterilize it. If you do not rinse the sand, your tank will become very cloudy. I then placed all my fish in a 5 gallon bucket, then drained my water into another 5G bucket (total 10G of cycled water). Next, I undrained excess water and scooped out the nasty brown filled gravel. After giving my tank a good cleaning, i then added the rinsed sand and one 5G bucket of water, not the bucket with the fish. After that, I then added my rocks and some new water, leaving enough room for the 5G bucket of fish and water. After an hour or so for the water to get to room temperature, I then added the last 5G bucket with the fish.

This is by far the best improvement to my tank that I have done. The fish love the sand and move it around constantly, digging holes and spitting sand out of their mouths.

If you do decide on this, I would do a little more research on the web. There are many others who have a more detailed description.