Sign in to follow this  
Mrbigfish

2 week old s.american chiclid tank

A seemingly knowledgable guy at the fish store told me that he adds 1tblsp of aquarium salt to every 5 gals of water in his fresh water tanks.He said it helps prevent diseases and won't effect PH or water quality.Have you ever heard of such? By the way I bought some artificial floating plants and anchored them under three large rainbow rocks I bought which have large openings.I am currently feeding them bloodworms once a week, sun dried shrimp 2 times a week, a few flakes daily, and kari chiclid pellets daily.What do you think?

A lot of people add aquarium salt to their freshwater tanks. Some fish like it better than others though-soft water fish like angels and rams usually don't do well with salt in the tank.

I don't salt any of my tanks simply because, short of one minor ich outbreak in my clown loaches, I don't have any disease problems and I'm lazy, so if things are going alright, I'm not going to add any more work. Also, I don't think my plants appreciated the salt.

I'm all about simplification :D

Next on my list is a python cause this hauling water across the house crap sucks.

When my tank did have salt in it, it was always a pain trying to figure out how many gallons I had replaced durring water changes and how much salt I should put back in. I really didn't want to buy one of the things to measure the amount of salt in the water (the name escapes me right now) so I was usually guessing. Too much of a pain.

I dont usually add salt to my freshwater tanks unless there is an illness that I need to treat. Some may like the salt but those are more brackish fish. If you want simplicity and you have just freshwater fish, I dont think you would need to keep up the salt level.