Sign in to follow this  
Guest african diamond

cloudy tank

Guest african diamond

I'm having a problem with my tank...the water is very cloudy and I figure out why, I clean the tank well and i put in new plants, fake plants fill the tank and within a day or so it was cloudy, i put in a new filter and still no avail. My firemouths just had babies but dosent seem to be affecting them, the tank looks dirty with the cloudy water when it reallly cant be. I've tried wate conditioners, not working. Any suggestions?

If you did a heavy cleaning and replaced the filter you might have removed most of your bacteria in the tank causing it to cycle again. I've done that before and, not knowing what I was doing, I kept cleaning it more and more trying to get the water clear which just made the water cloudier. What are the amnonia/nitrite/nitrate readings for your tank? How long has it been set up? Is it heavily stocked?

It could also be a bacteria or algae bloom. Is there a green tint to the water?

Guest Guest

Based on the info u gave. Here is a possible fix. You just cleaned the tank, you used the term heavy,so i am gunna assume u killed all the bacteria in the tank. Easiest thing to do is if u have another tank with a sponge type filter,clean the sponge in the aquarium that was cleaned. If sponge filter is not ava. ask the local pet store to syphon some crud off the bottom of their tanks. The more you can get the better,this will give you massive infusion of bacteria. Do not clean your tank for a couple weeks but you can do partial water changes.

Guest african diamond
:rolleyes: Thanks to all of you, I waited and did a 25% tank change, now the water seems to be clearing up. Also invested in a new filter.

Guest sqwacker @aol.com

Also agree with earlier comment about algae growth. after water change water will be fairly clear, but will cloud slowly with a greenish tint to water. use algae inhibitor for about 5 days with charcoal medium removed from filter. then use your cloudy tank conditioner.( I like jungle clearwater tabs) You should be pleased with results.

I was having the same problem with algae growth and cloudy water. I bought 2 clown loaches and 5 bristlenose catfish (the sucking kind) and in 2 days the water is crystal clear.

Mother Natures little garbage disposal units!

;)