Ldyma

Smacking Rocks

My tank of mixed cichlids include 2 jacks 2 oscars, an electric blue a red zebra and two green terrors a few plecos and snails

After they eat, these fish all smack themselves on the rocks and decorations...it scared me when I read that "Scratching on the rocks is a sign of disease"

But my fish are healthy, beautiful, eating, and have no other symptoms....no discoloration, no white poop, no swelling.

But they all whack themselves on the rocks! Is this OK? The tank is small 40 gallons and the fish are small all less than 5 inches...I am ready to set up a newer larger tank...but need to know about this behavior first.

The water is clear and good quality. I test and do 25% water changes weekly. I do not have gravel but have river rocks....could they be trying to move the rocks since there is no gravel?

when you say smacking, I hope you mean a "flicking" or "rubbing" action. When I see smacking written it sounds like a violent reaction to me.

If they are flicking or rubbing on the rocks don't worry about it. Mine do it too, and have no disease. If you Ph and Nitrate levels are all safe then don't worry about it.

Jeff

Yep a quick flick on the rocks is exactly what they do...And everyone seems fine otherwise. Thanks I'll try not to worry! Ph is in range, nitrates has been negligable...(I cant keep any live plants for long...They are like little dogs and tear up plants and eat them!

If you change 5-10 gallons per week and do a decent substrate vacuming (spelling?) then you should be fine. The fish will probably still keep flicking and there isn't anything to do about it.

I don't recommend keeping Africans with South Americans...I tried it and everyone seemed to get along fine for awhile, but then my Jack Dempsey got stressed and almost died. I just don't think they are comfortable like that...besides South Americans require a different Ph range than Africans...Sout Americans are notorious for ripping up plants, and I believe you africans prefer to eat plants, so that explains that problem. I have heard that if you want your plants to stay in one place to put ping pong balls on the surface and the fish will play with them all day. I have yet to try it.

If you snails get out of control get a couple of clown loaches...

Later

Jeff

When I notice my fish flicking its usually because I have slacked off on the water changes and the quality is going downhill or the pH is getting too low.

When you say the pH is in range, what does that mean?

Are you moving all your fish to the larger tank?

Yes, all fish will happily be moved to a 100 gallon at the end of this month..

PH is 7.2-7.6

I do weekly water changes of 25%

Im going to try the ping pong ball...I have spent way too much money on plants....!

Incidentally, I have smooth river rocks on the bottom purchased for the aquarium from the pet store....These guys are so active I hear clicking in the next room and go in to investigate....they are moving the rocks with their noses!

The flicking seems such a normal part of what they do...It is only for a few minutes usually after they eat....Like it helps them pooh or somethhing...