Sign in to follow this  
avia

borleyi looking ill

hey guys,

the rookies looking for some help on a possible sick fish.id appreciate any help or advice as id rather not learn the hard way. ive noticed most like to get the technicals out out of the way so heres my current setup. 40 gallon corner tank, lots of of rock structure for hiding. two fake plants. i am running a eheim 2215 canister filter. i think it is rated for 90 gallons. my heater is not needed this time of year and the tank stays room temp. currently 80 degrees. i did order cichlid salt from bluegrass cichlids and gave them their first dose appx. two weeks ago. my ph stays somewhere around 7.6. i have whats called a jumbo river gravel, which i know is not a good substrate to help my ph problem. all other levals are ok. there are 12 malawi cichlids in this tank i know two are the yellow labs i think one is a hap. and im sure one is a scianochromis fryeri. the patient i have found to be a borleyi. the others im in the process of identifying. i have a picture posted in my gallery. now thats out of the way heres the problem, the one i believe is the borleyi started looking a little funny about 4 days ago. it seemed like some of the scales towards his rear were turning a little white and flaking off. it looked to me like a wet version of dry skin. that problem has gotten worse over the last couple days. its only on one side and i wouldnt say it covers his whole side of the body but it is very noticable. just tonight i noticed a second sympton which has me looking for advice, his eye has fogged up white. again its not his whole eye but at least three quarters. those are the symptons and no other fish in the tank shows any of them. one last thing i think might be important is his size and the size of his friends ( or enemys) :D there are two other fish his exact size in the tank appx. 4.5 inches one is a yellow lab and the other i just dont know. they both stay very quite at the bottom in the nicest hiding spots. i never see those two cause any trouble. the borleyi swims around the middle all the time and doesnt do a lot of chasing or doent get chased a real lot. from what ive seen but i dont watch them constantly. all the other fish are smaller appx 3 inche with two of them being about 2 inches. so im not too sure if aggression is the problem. the borleyi has been eating normal he can be a bit of a pig. i dont know if he is a male or female. when i bought him the pet store clerk said he was a male. the guy seemed knowledgable and it was a family pet shop not petco

i just relized what one of the other fish is. it is a nimbochromis venestus.

The flaky scale thing sounds like it might be some sort of fungal infection. You can treat it with an anti-fungal product that you could purchase at any pet store. The only book I have with any fish disease info in it said cloudy eyes are often due to some sort of bacterial infection.

I'd seperate the fish as soon as possible and treat them with whatever product you choose to use.

thanks for info now some advice on seperation, i have a 10 gallon with filter thats in storage, do i have to put a gravel in the bottom, can i set it up just to treat then take it down is there a cycle process with only one fish, and how long until i could put in a medicine.. also can anyone suggest a good all purpose african cichlid book maybe even pertaining to just malawi. thanks snatched for the quick advice.

I'm not real good with info on cycling but yes, your tank will cycle. If you want to put the fish in there immediately, you could try putting a layer of gravel from an existing tank down and using the old filter media from an existing tank to jumpstart the new tank. Maybe even use some old tank water.

I don't have any good African cichlid books yet. I pretty much picked the ones I'm going to buy from reading the reviews on amazon.com. Maybe you can find a more reliable source of reviews.

Sounds to me like you have an infection of some sort. That is usually what causes severe discoloration, and it is usually obvious on a borleyi.

Seperate him immediately. You don't HAVE to put gravel in a hospital tank. Snatched gave some good suggestions on how to speed up the cycling of the tank. You can also add a product called Cycle which contains live bacteria and will make it perfect for your fish. It can help more than you know in the cycling process. When you are looking at the Cycle on the shelf, pick up the one next to it, it should do the same thing and be way cheaper. Generic is usually the way to go on that stuff in my experience.

Keep him in the hospital tank for 1 week or so after all the symptoms have cleared up. Watch your other fish closely, in case they caught what ever it is...that way you can add them to the hospital tank and can all be treated together.

Good Luck

Jeff