• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheCichlidophile

TheCichlidophile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:52 PM

I have kept cichlids for about two years, but this is the first time I've braved breeding them.

I have five L. Caruleus in a 20 gal (tall) w/ a S. Eupterus and a bristlenose pleco. Very happy tank.

Found a female lab holding about five days ago. I've read up on set-up for a tank to raise the fry. . . seems simple enough, but what about separating the mother from the home tank? Or stripping the fry to kep them from being dropped and then sucked up by my filters?

TheCichlidophile

#2 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:00 AM

The same thing happend to me except with a different fish. Do not move the female holding she will get strtessed and swalow the eggs. i f you cna move the other fish and put foam around the filters.

#3 TheCichlidophile

TheCichlidophile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:22 PM

Thanks Matt. I wouldn't have thought about the foam. Sadly, I think she swallowed them yesterday. I'll definitely use your advice next time.

#4 jimbo

jimbo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 04:09 PM

What I do is , If possible write down the date you first notice the female holding. I then wait about 14 to 17 days and remove the mother from the main tank and stripe her of the fry. You can then put her back into the main tank or put her in say a 10 gal. for a few days to let her build herself back up. The fry I house in a 10 gal. with a sponge filter until they are large enough to move to a grow out tank with earlier fry. They just don't stand much of a chance in the main tank. Good luck and hope this helps .

#5 snatched

snatched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 12:15 AM

I don't think striping is really necessary unless the mom looks like she is in really poor health. I don't know if everything I've read about fry that were stripped becoming bad parents when they grow up is true, but it seems like nature has spent so long perfecting mouth brooding, why step in and mess with it?

Its usual for all cichlids to loose their first few batches of eggs. Inexperianced mothers usually take a few tries to get the hang of it. You can strip her if you want but its got to be more stressful to her and its more work for you.

When you notice your lab holding, wait a week and a half and move her to her own tank, it will keep her from getting stressed. A good breeder will not swallow her eggs in a simple tank move. Mine made it from the store through a hour car ride to my tank and kept her eggs.

Keep her in the seperate tank until she spits, after that she doesn't really need to be there. Its usually best to keep her with the fry for a day so she can gorge on food, then put her back in the main tank. The longer she is away, the harder it can be for her to fit back in.

It takes awhile for the fish to get everything right, sometimes they catch on real quick, sometimes you'll loose a lot of eggs, but once they start producing fry they'll go crazy. Yellow labs don't produce a whole lot in each batch, but each female is capable of producing once a month if everything is perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users