my oscars had eggs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shannon_*

Guest_shannon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:24 AM

my oscars have laid eggs and i have never had this happen before what steps do i take to ensure good hatchlings? should i take my pleucostomus's out? turn off the filter? i dont know shoudl i separate mom and dad?m clueless please help me

#2 Guest_Guest_damien_*

Guest_Guest_damien_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:55 PM

i have two oscars myself and i was hoping that i would be as lucky as you. but nothing yet. i havent got any experience with this yet but i have done a little bit of research just in case it happened to me. everything ive read says that oscars both male and female are good parents and will take care of the hatchlings. but ive also read that their first few times laying eggs that they have a tendency to eat them also. so i would just keep a real close eye on them and maybe even put the eggs in one of those small breeding tanks that floats around in there with them. as for the placo, if it was up to me id remove him just to be safe. hope i helped you out a lil bit. but dont just follow my advice ask around

good luck and keep me posted on your results ;)

#3 Guest_Jack and Jill_*

Guest_Jack and Jill_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:50 PM

:rolleyes: My Jack (and Jill) Dempsheys Chilids just hatched probably a hundred hatchlings. I inherited a large Jack in July 2003 along with a large algae eater and added a new Jack in November 2003. It must have been love a first sight...

What can I feed the hatchlings and how much for so many fish? I am currently melting two cubes of baby brine shrimp along with grinded premium tropical flakes twice to three times a day. :)

How long will it take to grow into a big enough fish to see?

Should I remove the algae eater or leave the protective parents to guard the hatchlings? They seem to be very protective and even round-up and transport their young in their mouths around their 70 gallon aquarium.

Helpless in Oklahoma with a lot of Fish! :(

#4 cichlidbreeders

cichlidbreeders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:42 AM

i have babies tons of them i have convicts and dempseys that have babies and oscrars that are ready to mate!!!!!!!!! do i leave them with the parents until the are bigger and how big do i let them get before i remove them or the parents :unsure: :unsure:

#5 cichlidbreeders

cichlidbreeders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:48 AM

jack and jill it will take a few days before you see the fry after that im just as confused as you i have jack dempsay fry too good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users