3 replies to this topic

#1 fish man

fish man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:11 AM

[FONT=Times][SIZE=1][COLOR=green] :D

I have been a fish hobbiest for about 18 years and have had hundreds of types of fish over the years. about two years ago I had a texas chiclid (cichlasoma carpinte) and a managuense produce offspring. the new breed of fish are starting to spawn themselves, I was wondering how common this combonation might be or if at all. if not at all, does anyone know who to talk to about documentation and naming of the species? ;) I would like to hear about anyone elses experience with cross breeding :) I even have pictures of the parents protecting the swarm of fry.the pair of mismatched chiclids were a breeding pair no matter what tank they were moved to. the male texas chiclid was eventually killed by one ov my red devils. the offspring are very pretty and are in their own large aquarium. they litteraly are 50/50 of the two types of chiclids, and are very aggressive :angry:

#2 WAPPAL

WAPPAL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:FISH VIDEO GAMES AND FISH

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:10 AM

THEY SOUND GREAT ANY PICS?

#3 Loughlin83

Loughlin83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:26 AM

Since your grouping is small, you do not know the gender and don't have the tank size listed, it's a bit hard for anyone to say it could or couldn't. At this point in time, without knowing what are the males and females, your odds could be as high as 100% or 0%. End up with all male or all female, you won't have it, but have 1 male and 2 females, or 2 males and 1 female, since all species are mixed and none kept in proper numbers, I'd suspect odds are the males will at least attempt to court females and the females are likely to be receptive to some degree if there is a lack of males of it's own species.

Hyrbidization is a complex subject which has many facets, to the point where if you keep females that have a similar look over several species, odds are very high you'll get hybrids at some point. The real big key to avoiding this is to avoid keeping species in which females have a similar look. Combine that with not keeping a species deviod of one gender, such as a tank full of female yellow Labs, and have a male Cynotilapia zebra, I'm sure at some point, he'd court the Lab females.

Keep your groups in proper ratios, where females of different species have a much different look then other females, this should take care of any hybrid issues.

That Kenyi if male, could potentially cross with the Yellow Lab simply because a male Kenyi morphs into a yellow body when mature and could get mistaken for a Lab male by the female.

#4 gqap54

gqap54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:57 AM

The interesting part about the Gold x EB cross is in the proportions...

If exactly 50% of the fry were gold and 50% were blue, then you would know that the genes for Blue and Gold were co-dominant. If 25% were blue and the rest gold, then you would know that at least some gold rams are heterozygous for blue! If you got some that were a muddled in-between color, you would know that one or both of the genes for color were showing incomplete dominance (ie that you need two copies of the same color allele in one individual to get enough of the color-producing protein to be expressed and show the full vibrance of the color, like Japanese Four O'Clock Flowers).

I am a biology grad student with an interest in genetics, which is why I started breeding fish in the first place, so this is my favorite part of the hobby!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users