• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 knoxvillecichlids

knoxvillecichlids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:57 AM

I am looking to add a few dwarfs to my tank. I have started creating my tank and would like some advice on what else to do in it.
Did I set it up right so far?
Should I do something different?

Attached Files

#2 TheCichlidophile

TheCichlidophile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:28 PM

Your tank looks incredible. A little "high-maintenance" if those plants are real, but good if you have the time to keep up with it. Looks like you're thinking about keeping some shell-dwellers? Not enough space up-top to keep tropheus or tri-colors.

TheCichlidophile

#3 snatched

snatched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:42 PM

If you are keeping Shellies, it would be a good idea to add a few more shells. Plan on having 2-3 shells for each fish, they look to shop around for their home. Other than that, your tank looks nice.

#4 Guest_Cardak_*

Guest_Cardak_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:00 PM

Hmmm... The tank looks very nice... and i hope you can maintain it well. Your going to have to measure the PH constantly due to the Drift wood in the tank. If that driftwood is real, it will lower the PH, and soften the water of your tank. As u know... Tang tanks are high in PH and Hardness, and the cichlids will be uncomfortable. The only ones who will enjoy your creation would be, if you decide to get them, are the Plecos. (This is only if you don't constantly monitor the water.) I would add some holey rock, limestones, and maybe make a few custom ornaments with dolamite or something like that to raise the PH and Hardness to offset the woods acidic properties. Just some suggestions to keep your future cichlids happy.

Dave :)

#5 Guest_Slandry_*

Guest_Slandry_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:05 AM

I agree on the drift wood. It is definitely going to cause problems with your Ph. Maintaining 7.8 to 8.0 is going to be very difficult. Also if the plants are real get ready to say bye bye, they are going to feast on them. I only add live plants when I am going out of town on vacation. I have gone for as long as a week and have come home to devoured live plants, they love amazon swords!!!!!

#6 snatched

snatched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:59 AM

Shellies do not eat plants at all. They occasionally uproot them but do not eat them. Actually, most Tangs don't eat plants, its more the mbuna that give Africans the reputation of plant eaters and even then you can keep live plants if you are careful.

Different kinds of driftwood will have different effects on the water. Sometimes a piece will have no impact on the water, sometimes it will drastically reduce the pH. Most driftwood after some time will stop leaching out as much tanin and will stop noticably affecting the pH.

#7 Guest_jack bishop_*

Guest_jack bishop_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:45 PM

if you like dwarf cichlids go to aquabid.com I think there under south american towards the bottom. but, if you get dwarf's which seems like a good fit for you. you cannot however get other cichlid species. they will out grow your dwarfs and eat them. and dwarfs are much less aggressive so they don't stand a chance.

I recomend buying a few pairs, so you can start you own little dwarf factory
there is decent $ in it.

have fun and good luck
jack bishop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users