green spotted puffer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Damien

Damien

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:I LIKE KEEPING ALL DIFFERENT KINDS OF CICHLIDS. CURRENTLY I OWN THREE OSCARS AND ONE GREEN TERROR. I HAD A MIDAS BUT HE WAS TOO AGRESSIVE TOWARDS SOME OF MY OTHER FISH SO I HAD TO GET RID OF HIM. I ALSO HAVE A KNIFE FISH AN AFRICAN BUTTERFLY FISH A BLACK LACE ANGEL FISH AND AN EIGHT YEAR OLD COMET.

Posted 13 March 2004 - 06:30 AM

i just bought a very small green spotted puffer. he isnt even an inch long yet and i just put him in a 50 gal hexagonal tank. the pet store said not to mix him or her with another fish. why?
are they that agresive? can someone help me out with this? i am new to the puffer family

#2 knoxvillecichlids

knoxvillecichlids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:20 AM

I have been pooking up your fish and found a few quotes that may be of some help.

"For 2 months there was 1 puffer and about 15 mollies in the tank. This leads me to my next point about puffer aggression, they don't like other tankmates. There are now about 7 mollies in the tank now, with absolutely no sign of the missing fish. Once I put a piece of krill into the tank, and one of the mollies was feeling pretty bold, so he decided he wanted to take a bite. The puffer didn't take kindly to this and promptly removed half of the mollies' head, including the gills and an eye. I watched this happen, and it was very quick and quite vicious."

"These fish can be kept in small groups but may do better individually as they can be aggressive and are territorial. Few other fish can be kept with them due to this temperament. If you want to keep fish with them try to avoid ones with long fins and pick faster moving fish which the puffer may not wish to chase."

"Spotted Puffers are brackish fish and therefore this limits what fish can be kept with them. In addition, they can be nippy and as they get older they get more and more aggressive. Fish to try would be:
Spotted Puffers
Sometimes it may be possible to keep spotted puffers in small groups. If you intend to do this make sure you have a good sized tank to allow the puffers room to keep out of each others way if necessary.
Bumblebee Gobies
These fish are small and quick and naturally hide away in cracks and caves. This means that they can easily outrun a puffer and hide away from him.
Mollies
Mollies are freshwater fish but can be kept in brackish conditions - and even colour up better when they are. Due to there size and slightly bullying nature these are ideal to keep with puffers as they will give them as much grief back as they get. If you keep mollies though, ensure that you do not keep the long fin varieties as these will have a tendency to be nipped."

I hope this helped you..

#3 Guest_Pothead_*

Guest_Pothead_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:33 PM

I have one green spotted puffer who is slightly over an inch and he is beyond vicious. I've had fahaka puffers before and the spotted puffer may be more mean.They do not care about size at all. Mine eats crabs twice as large as he is. They may not kill a tankmate at first but it will happen eventually.As for getting fast fish, that doesn't matter. These puffers may seem slow but they are extremely quick. If you want to see a show, put in tankmates, but I wouldn't reccomend it. Enjoy your fish. B)

#4 Guest_Billy_*

Guest_Billy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:22 PM

just to help you out....I am a puffer fish owner, I have 3 green spotted puffers (GSP) and have had them for years. GSP are very territorial and very aggressive, they will go after basicaly anything that is not a puffer fish. They require very much care and they are not a freshwater (FW) fish they are a brackish Water (BW) fish and when older are moved to Salt Water (SW) I stronlgy recommend if you are keeping him to change to BW and not keeping him in FW, you will notice a decline in your fish population and he will not live in FW unless he is young, and when he gets older he will die in FW, they are AWESOME fish and they make great pets, they will actaully get to know you and come to the glass to meet you. If you need help with these fish dont hesitate to ask.

gossen18(at)hotmail(dot)com

#5 Guest_Carla_*

Guest_Carla_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:00 AM

what is brackish water how do you get you tank that way

#6 Guest_Lauren_*

Guest_Lauren_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2004 - 11:40 AM

"what is brackish water how do you get you tank that way"

Brackish water is slightly salty, you get it that way by adding a small amount of aquarium salt, how much depends on the type of fish you have, and the size of your tank. Most of my fish can live in both, brackish and freshwater, but I prefer to keep freshwater, it seems simpler to maintain that way.

#7 Guest_just helping_*

Guest_just helping_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:22 PM

u need a brackish water tank in oder to keep these puffers other wise they wont live that long

#8 Guest_Alan_*

Guest_Alan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:28 PM

I have a 75 gallon Brackish water tank. I have 6 green spotted puffers in it. They seem to like eachother and swim around in a big group alot. The ratio I have used for my brackish water is 1/4 cup of Aquarium salt to EVERY gallon of water. Brings you Salinity...(ppt) to the proper range to be called brackish. (1/2 cup of salt per gallon roughly equals marine conditions.)

One thing that has helped keep the tank real cool is I also always have atleat 10-20 feeder guppies. (real small ones). They add to the traffic in the tank and the puffers eat one every now and then for a snack! They are usually about $1.00 for ten.

My 2 cents!
Al

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users