Blood Parrot with black spots

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lora_*

Guest_Lora_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

We have two young Blood Parrots which came with black spots, they finally disappeared as month went on, but lately in the last week after treating them for the ich that they got from the other fish at a different store the spots started to appear. It's only on one of them, it's mostly on the crown of the nose and on the fins. I would like to know what we can do or is there anything to do? They are both happy and eatting fine. The other fish and them get along just time. and the tank is really clean. I clean it once a month, change the filters twice a month, the temp is around 78 and the levels that are needed are natural with the fish I already have in the tank. The tank size is a 30 tall. So if you could please let me know what to do that would be great.

Thank you
Lora

#2 Guest_Blue0cean_*

Guest_Blue0cean_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

Yeah I have the same thing as Lora...two new blood parrots. They both have developed black on the top of their heads and on the front of the dorsal fin (where it is closest to the head). The female also seems to have a little black on the edge of her tail fin very faint. But she is very shy and hides all day so it is hard to examine her. Is this a variation of ICH or what is it? They didn't have this when I got them a week ago.

#3 Guest_blue0cean_*

Guest_blue0cean_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:17 PM

Yes I have the same situation as Lora. Two new blood parrots who have developed black in less than a week. Both have it fringing the end of their dorsal fin and one also has it on the top of his head just a tiny bit. The other also has it on the end of her tail fin but hard to see as she hides all day every day.

Is this some variation of Ich or what? What treatment is best?

#4 watrsedg

watrsedg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

Sounds like a disease called black spot. Blood Parrot cichlids are the only fish that can get Black spot disease. This disease is very common among parrot cichlids and displays itself as black spots on the fish. This is not normal or healthy and you should never buy Blood parrot cichlids that display signs of black spot disease. This disease can be a result of poor water quality and effected fish will get better if you improve the water quality. If the water quality isnít poor the fish can get better after a few days. Black spots can however also be a sign of that your fish is in spawning mood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users