mixing fish, is it safe?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_caxles_*

Guest_caxles_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2004 - 07:04 AM

Is it safe to mix african cichlids with oscars and pacu's? I've had mine mixed in there for a long time (5 to 6 mos.)and there's no real danger present.had an eel in there with them but someone in the tank killed it. does anyone know?

#2 WAPPAL

WAPPAL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:FISH VIDEO GAMES AND FISH

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:40 AM

pacu's will generaly live in peace w/anything oscars are rather agressive but should do ok make sure you have plenty of cover for the smaller fish and dont overcrowd your tank as for your eel any one of them could have killed it

#3 Guest_Devin Loendorf_*

Guest_Devin Loendorf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2004 - 05:13 AM

i agree with wappal

#4 Guest_Devin Loendorf_*

Guest_Devin Loendorf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2004 - 05:16 AM

wait how big will ur africans get? if they are the 1s who only get 6" eventually ur o will either kill or eat them. personal experience

#5 snatched

snatched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:39 PM

I would have to disagree. Oscars will generally eat anything that will fit into its mouth and kill anything else. Seeing how they get to be 12"+ thats a big mouth. Maybe if you had some mbuna or something they would manage to survive for awhile by hiding in their caves all day long, but wheres the fun in that? MAYBE if you had one of the larger predatory open water species it would work but its still pretty doubtful.

Not to mention that Africans need way different water and enviroment requirements. A full grown Oscar would destroy a typical African aquascape and wouldn't thrive in the high pH.

#6 Guest_Nuttie_*

Guest_Nuttie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:03 PM

Get rid of the Oscar as it will eventually ruin your African tank. Even if your Africans are large enough not to fit in the Oscar's mouth eventually they will be and your Oscar will also tear up your tank decor. Take it from someone who has been there and done that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users