• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Inkinmyskin

Inkinmyskin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:30 PM

Hey, I'm new at this...so here goes. I'm buying a 55 gal. tank and want to stock it with new world cichlids. Here is a list of cichlids that I have found to be very hardy and need to know if they will go well together. I understand that each fish has it's own temperment, and can be anywhere from placid to crazy.

1. Firemouth (Thorichthys Meeki)

2. Rainbow (Herotilapia multispinosa)

3. Black convict (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus)

4. Festivum (Cichlasoma festivum)

5. Elliotís Cichlid (Thorichthys ellioti)

6. Salvini (Nandopsis salvini)

7. Green Terror (Aequidens rivulatus)

I do not want breeding so I was thinking one of each. Could this work or would it fail, that is the question that I'm posing to you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for your time.

#2 Guest_cich_*

Guest_cich_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

Listen mate, i'd reckon you could get away with the green terror and maybe a con and firemouth for about 1 month. With the fish you want you would be overstocking the tank. i reckon if you use a 1" of fish per 5 gallons youd get the stocking levels in check.GTs get nearly 10" long, that right there is about 50 gallons, you could figure out the rest. sorry mate but its the truth.so NO those fish wont work out. But good luck to you mate. :lol: :lol:

#3 Inkinmyskin

Inkinmyskin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:18 AM

After doing alot of research it turns out I could put all of them in one tank. But I would have one hell of a mess on my hands, and would stunt their growth dramatically. I have found a cichlid that suits me...it's generally laid back. Mesonauta festivus or festivum or flag cichlid. I found a formula for cichlids in a tank but don't know if it's right. (1 inch to 5 gallons) Is that even right? Does anyone know anything on Mesonauta festivus? How many could I put in a 55 gal. tank? Every web-site I visit says something different. For example one will say min. tank size 30 gal. And the next will say 40 gal. And the next will say 50 gal. If I put them in to small of a tank it will stunt their growth, and thats not what I want to do. Plus there are many different variations of the flag cichlid. Mesonauta festivus, Cichlasoma festivum, Mesonauta insignis, Mesonauta mirificus, Mesonauta egregius. I'm at a loss, and my 55 gal. is cycling :o My girlfriend says "Just forget it and fill it with neon tetras." :huh: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#4 Guest_calvin_*

Guest_calvin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

I would get 2 firemouth and 1 or 2 GT.
that's all.
and lot of hiding space for firemouth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users