• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jan

Jan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:15 AM

I am new to cichlids how do i tell if they are male or female and can a yellow lab and a cobalt mate. Thanks

#2 Guest_mark fishkepper_*

Guest_mark fishkepper_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:13 AM

I am new to cichlids how do i tell if they are male or female and can a yellow lab and a cobalt mate. Thanks

males R briteer & have egg sopts females R duller spwning is ezenuf if U have both sexs trun up temp 2 85 african breed tn warmer water & clean 2 .water change R a must no temp flax 85 degr

#3 watrsedg

watrsedg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

hi jan, usually on a male cichlid the dorsal (top) and the anal fin ( lower rear) has very long trailer behind it, while the female's are more rounded at the ends. the male is usually the more colorfull and prominent to help attract a mate. This however isnt true for all cichlids. Oscars are almost impossible to tell apart without checking surgically. Convicts are relatively easy to discern since the female almost always has a red tinted belly. After you have cichlids for a little while it will get easier to see the charactistic traits of the different sexes. If your trying to breed some fish, i recommend adding some pics on here and getting some opinions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users