cichlids in my pond

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Art_*

Guest_Art_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:04 AM

I live in central New York state and have a pond of about 100,000 gal (about 50X70X10 ft. deep) It is mainly a Koi pond, also with minnows, channel catfish and some trout. My brother just told me that last week he put two cichlids (4-5 in.) from his tank into my pond! My question is: will they live and will they be a problem for the Koi? I would appreciate anyones input. Thank-you

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

I live in central New York state and have a pond of about 100,000 gal (about 50X70X10 ft. deep) It is mainly a Koi pond, also with minnows, channel catfish and some trout. My brother just told me that last week he put two cichlids (4-5 in.) from his tank into my pond! My question is: will they live and will they be a problem for the Koi? I would appreciate anyones input. Thank-you

They require warm water to live and will not tolerate the freezing temperatures like the Koi do.

#3 Richie1171

Richie1171

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

[font=Arial][size=6]
Hi my name is RICHIE1171 IM A MDVT ) ON THE PA AREA you want to know how carefully you want to be with you coypond cichlids cut be verry nasty depending on the breed the he add to the pond remenber all cichlid grow to a nasty size especial in a pond were the got room to grow event larger then in a in door aquarium ,secon of all africancichlid as jewels ,convicks ,temp to breed with in months in a pond the cut hi the fish frieor eggsas will call them so be care full with what he add on your pond temp to be nipis with coys tails fins can also eat othersthe have theeth wile coys have soft mandible, just look at your pond if you see some thing defrent i will advice you to pull them cichlids out for the safe of the rest of the pond

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users