• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guppy_Girl

Guppy_Girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:17 AM

ok, my dad has this tank in his office and it has 2 parrot fish in it (I think that they are parrot fish), one fish is about 4 inches long and the other one is probably 5-6 inches long (including their tails), the smaller one was doing fine with the larger one (other than the fact that they hid the whole time) until about a week ago, then the small one started hanging upside-down in the top corner of the tank. The only thing that would move on him was his gills. I took him out and put him/her/it, into my 5 gallon hospital tank (ok I know that that isn't really a big enough tank to keep it in but I have guppies so I'm not really planning on big fish!!), now it's doing fine, swimming normally and everything, it hasn't eaten yet but at least it's not upside-down looking dead!!

The guy at the fish store said that maybe one of them had eggs, I don't know but I thought that maybe the larger one could have laid some and was keeping the other one away or something. The small one has a little bit of fin rot (other fish in the tank were kind of trying to beat up on it??) but the other one has LONG flowing fins, the dorsal fin goes all the way down its back and ends at the same point as his tail!!

PLEASE HELP!! I don't do cichlids! I do guppies, I don't know what on earth is going on with this fish and would like someone to help me figure it out. (it doesn't have any normal diseases {ick, popeye} nothing like that)

The sick fish (the one in the 5 gallon tank) is not eating flake/pellet/dried Tubifex worms, won't eat anything... is there any live foods I could give it?? I raise grindal and microworms.... and could get something bigger.....

THANKS!!

G_G

#2 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

Ok sounds like everyday cichlid stuff are you sure its a parrot because they are sterill and cant reproduce if its not a parrot is the fishes mouth swollen the only time I have seen cichlids not eat is when they are holding babies in there mouth if it is a mouth brewder. Or the fish could just be stressed you did the right thing by removing it good luck and let me know what happens. Brian in Austin

#3 Guest_josh_*

Guest_josh_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:07 AM

i think u shuld seperate em

#4 Guest_jk_*

Guest_jk_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

i think u shuld seperate em

u could cook him n eat him

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:39 AM

Parrot fish are sterile, however they still have the ability to lay eggs. The eggs just cant be fertilized.

#6 nova

nova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:06 PM

Parrot fish are sterile, however they still have the ability to lay eggs. The eggs just cant be fertilized.

I'm new to cichlids--and have three smallish ones in a 20 gal tank. I have two 20-40 aqua fin filters and two bubble stones. One of my cichlids is a BLOOD PARROT. I got him at a pet store and they didn't know anything about it. Previously I had fancy goldfish. Occationally the goldfish would change color depending on the atmosphere in the tank. now my BLOOD PARROT is showing black spots. I can't tell if the are outside the scales, or just the color of the scales changing. It is the largest fish in the tank--I also have an emerald cory catfish in the tank, but he doesn't seem to bother anyone.

Is my PARROT fish sick, fungused, icked? Help as this fish is my all time favorite.

#7 Guest_Trish_*

Guest_Trish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:06 PM

Having 3 blood parrots in a 20 gallon tank is not a good idea. My guess is that the black spots on the fins are from ammonia poisoning. I transported my 2 blood parrots in a 5 gallon tank in a car from NJ to Houston, TX last year and one did end up with some ammonia poisoning. Your filter is probably rated for the size tank you have (or under-rated, as most really are) which does not suffice for 3 blood parrots. I suggest you invest in a larger tank with a filter rated for the size tank. Generally, the filter should be able to circulate 4 times the size of the tank in one hour.

Luckily, this condition is treatable. Frequent water changes will help until you can get a larger tank. I suggest doing some more reaearch. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users