sick oscar

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tashie_*

Guest_tashie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:40 PM

the fish is not eating is looking sickly and one eye is buldging out i'm trippin what is wrong what should i do?

#2 snatched

snatched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

Sounds like pop-eye although I haven't heard loss of appetite as a pop-eye symptom so that could be another problem altogether.

Pop eye is almost always caused by poor water quality. You should immediately have your water tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If you do not have the appropriate test kits for this, almost all petstores (including the big chains ones like Petsmart and Petco) will do this for you. The kits are cheap though so if you plan to keep fish, its a good idea to get some of your own. The strip kind are pretty sucky, get the kind with the drops.

Assuming your Oscar is in an appropriately sized tank (55-75g for single fish) the first thing to do would be a large water change. Something in the area of 50%-60% to ensure the water is clean. Poor water quality causes most problems and prevents problems from healing. There are many products on the market for popeye, something like Jungle Fungus Clear or a similar product should be used. Follow their instructions, usually it requires a 50% water change every three days before a redose. You might want to also add a little aquarium salt to the water, a tablespoon per 5g will probably help the fish.

While using these types of medicines, your biological filter will probably die off. Your tank might start to cycle again, possibly before the fish recovers. If this happens, you will need to step up the water changes to keep the ammonia at 0 until the fish heals.

#3 Guest_pumpkin_*

Guest_pumpkin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

my fish has the same symptoms but we just cleaned the tank one week ago and this developed over night also has loss of appetite. My fish is a bumble bee cichlid is this the same issue that an oscar can have or is this something different?

#4 Guest_pumpkin_*

Guest_pumpkin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

my fish has the same symptoms but we just cleaned the tank one week ago and this developed over night also has loss of appetite. My fish is a bumble bee cichlid is this the same issue that an oscar can have or is this something different?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users