Frontasia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Brian_*

Guest_Brian_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:00 PM

I intoduced a single juvenile frontasia into my Malawi tank 55 gallons on Sunday this thing can hide like nobodys bussiness Hell I was looking under the sofa for him at one point. Anyways I now know thias was a bad idea the front. hasnt been out to eat yet concerned cant return fish. Any tips.

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:44 PM

Fronts are very skittish fish anyway, you should be fine. Even whern they are happy and settled they would rather hide than come out and act like a normal african cichlid. He is probably eating also when you are not there, if your concerned though feed your fish then turn off the light and leave the room. He should eat then.

Dana

#3 Guest_Brian_*

Guest_Brian_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:22 PM

Fronts are very skittish fish anyway, you should be fine. Even whern they are happy and settled they would rather hide than come out and act like a normal african cichlid. He is probably eating also when you are not there, if your concerned though feed your fish then turn off the light and leave the room. He should eat then.

Dana

View Post

Ya youre right he sure doesnt act like an african he is doing better today still havent seen him eat yet but I took all of his plants out and now atleast he is interacting. I think he will be fine. Hey what kind of fish should I feed him he is very small maybe 2.5" next time I feed should I turn out the lights. Wierd fish.

#4 snatched

snatched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:07 AM

Fronts usually live in huge schools and without their school they can often become skittish and shy. In the lake they live in very deep water and are somewhat nocturnal which explains some of their behavior in aquariums. When the right conditions are met your Front should be friendly and comfrotable in the aquarium.

Also, for eventually becoming such a large fish, they are easily picked on by other fish, hence why they make very poor tankmates for some Malawi Cichlids, especially Mbuna. Mbuna are also herbivores while Fronts are piscovores, if you feed Mbuna a Front's diet you are likely to see some nasty cases of bloat in your Mbuna.

If your fish is 2.5", you shouldn't be feeding it any live feeders. After it reaches 4"-5" you might want to think about investing in some feeder guppies to breed. You can set up a 5-10g tank for them for next to nothing and you will have a constant supply of free, clean feeders. If you buy feeders from a pet store (especially goldfish), its best to quarentine them for a couple of weeks. Those things are nasty and can spread parasites and diseases onto your fish and they are completely optional-you're Front will be fine without them. Fronts will appreciate frozen and freeze dried foods too like brine shrimp.

This is a supremely helpful article on general care for Fronts:
http://www.cichlid-f.../c_frontosa.php

#5 Guest_Brian_*

Guest_Brian_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:29 AM

Well heres an update my single front seems to be doing better thank you for all the info very helpful I have thought of getting a few more but I only have 55 gallons and Im not sure how soon I will be upgrading. He seems to be eating much better and is even getting some attitude. I am feeding a little more protien like krill, frozen bloodworms, and flakes and still put zuccini in every other day. So far no bloat but I am watching for any sines. I have a 20 gallon already set up with feeder guppies and ghost shimp that are thriving very well so I will have a clean source of live food when the front gets bigger. Again thanks for all the info. Brian

#6 snatched

snatched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:54 AM

Good luck with your fish, Fronts are really neat.

#7 Guest_Guest_Sean_*_*

Guest_Guest_Sean_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:02 AM

I intoduced a single juvenile frontasia into my Malawi tank 55 gallons on Sunday this thing can hide like nobodys bussiness Hell I was looking under the sofa for him at one point.  Anyways I now know thias was a bad idea the front. hasnt been out to eat yet concerned cant return fish.  Any tips.

View Post

i am growing up fronies at the moment, personaly i would put the fronie in a seperate tank all by it self with lots of hiding spots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users