Firemouth Cichlid Breeding

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_butterfly_*

Guest_butterfly_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:02 AM

I have two firemouth cichlids a mating pair, in a 20 gallon. The female layed eggs about two days ago. This is our first experience breeding fish. I was wondering how long does it take for the fry to hatch and are they mouthbrooders?I currently have an eclipse filter system. I am not sure if you are familiar with the brand or not. I was reading a post on this board about possibly needing a sponge filter? What is this, Can I get one at any pet supply company? And if anyone knows where I might be able to gather some more info on the breeding natures of the firemouth cichlid if you could please piont me in the right direction, Thank you for any help you may be...Sarah butterfly

#2 Guest_chris_*

Guest_chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2005 - 03:47 AM

hi i have just started looking into breeding firemouth cichlids,and am finding it hard to find some good solid info on it all, im picking bits up here and there, so if u find any info can u let me know cheers much appriciated, hopefully we could exchange notes all the time. and to answer your question, a sponge filter is a brilliant way of helping the cycle of your tank and safe enough so that the fry or eggs wont be sucked into it and killed, recommended for most breeding. You will find one at your local pet or aquatic store

e-mail me with info if u would and i will reply to any questions u have, cheers,
chris

maywah2931@aol.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users