Photo

Most Aggressive Central American Cichlid.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: What is the most aggressive Central American Cichlid? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the most aggressive Central American Cichlid?

1. Red Devils (Amphilophus labiatus) (19 votes [47.50%])

Percentage of vote: 47.50%

2. Archocentrus octofasciatus (1 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

3. Firemouth (Thorichthys meeki) (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Salvini (Cichlasoma salvini) (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

5. Dovii (Parachromis dovii) (6 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

6. Other (Please list) (10 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Guest_cichlidiot_*

Guest_cichlidiot_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2004 - 02:33 PM

1st off, Jack dempseys are hardly a heavy weight when it comes to CA cichlids. MOST red devils will EASILY dispatch a JD. a JD is barely more agressive than an oscar. green terror, same thing (over rated).

red terrors (festae), they r somthin' else. they are brutally fast destructive fish, killing & de-scaling other cichlids in seconds, it seems.

trimacs are another big bruiser, capable of massive death & destruction.

of the guapotes, Dovii, motas & grammodes seem the lay down the smack pretty well.

#22 Guest_killbait_*

Guest_killbait_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:56 AM

jaguars are the most agressive. I just bought a red devil and put it with the jaguar and the jaguar dashed it atleat evry 5 seconds and the devil wouldnt defend himself. He woulda got his ass killed so I had to switch him to a different tank. :angry:

#23 Guest_Don Shartzer Jr._*

Guest_Don Shartzer Jr._*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:35 AM

I have owned all the fish mentioned, except the Dovi, and I believe it is somewhat a matter of individual temperment. However, in my experience , I would say that the Red Devils are more consistently aggressive ( meaning I have had more trouble getting them to not kill stuff in a tank smaller than 100 gallons) than any of the other fish mentioned. They all will kill stuff equally as well in a 55 tank or smaller due to the fact that the tanks are too small and will max out agression levels. Also, most cichlids only worry about the amount of room in the footprint of the tank, ie.. the bottom. But I absolutey do not reccommend picking a fish based on temperment alone because you may eventually tire of your incompatible "wet pet". I have bought and sold several of these fish to get the desired temperment and know from experienceb that it is better to get a fish you enjoy lookin at because you know what you are getting.

75 gallon - Baucis 8' male Red Tiger Oscar, Philemon 7.5" female Silver Fancy Oscar
Leopold 10" clown sydonis
55 gallon - Achilles 12" Red Devil - named before Brad Pitt made it famous
55 gallon - Un-named 6" clown sydonis awaiting addition of William 2.5" Green
Terror
2-29gallon - maturing/ breeding/hospital tanks
20 gallon - Picture tank - too many different typres of common LFS fish to bother to list

#24 Guest_ba rd_*

Guest_ba rd_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:07 PM

Jack Dempsey's are the worst! They could take down anyhting any day, one once took down an oscar and almost killed a pacu I owned!

View Post

#25 Guest_jl_*

Guest_jl_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:36 PM

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial] :angry: Pike. kill all, case closed

#26 warren4066

warren4066

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:12 PM

I have a two pairs of dovii and another female. The red devil is aggressive too, but if you put two together; the dovii will be on top. Mostly all cichlids are aggressive if they've been kept alone in a tank. :)

#27 snatched

snatched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:36 PM

I think people would do well to read Don Shartzer Jr. before making grand blanket statements about one species. Especially since most people only have experience with one or two species.

For example, saying something is the most aggressive and can 'take down' anything because it attacked an Oscar and a Pacu is really nothing. Don't let Pacu's infamous cousins confuse you, they have no place in an aggressive community tank where they simply can't hold their own. And Oscars...some can be quite aggressive but on the whole, really nothing special considering their size. Many, many fish are more aggressive especially if you compare it inch for inch.

#28 Guest_michael_*

Guest_michael_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:28 PM

:angry: i have a 14inch oscar and he would rip apart and fish u give me. he would try to tear ur head off if he could

#29 Guest_TJ_*

Guest_TJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:01 PM

Jacks are awesome!

I have a pair that was in a community tank until they killed thier tankmates which were a convict 4" pink convict 3.5-4" flowerhorn 4.5" shovelnose cat 5-6". I also have a different community cichlid tank 125gal with 8 jacks 1-3" 1 chocolate 2.5" 1 blood parrot 3.5" 1 jelly bean parrot 3" flowerhorn 3.5" midas 3" jag 3" green terror 4". But Doviis are probably the meanest.

#30 sick-lids

sick-lids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:39 PM

Sounds like you people dont know how match cichlids up for your tanks. Letting all those pretty fish go to waste.

#31 Guest_Sonny_*

Guest_Sonny_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

i don't know much about all this crap you's people are on about. I Certainly don't have much knowledge of these cichlids. However, i have grown cichlids for a while now... and i've talked to a fair few owners and fish shop owners too. Jack dempsey packs a punch? beating up Oscars and pacus. What are you on about. You haven't even seen the full spectrum of aggressive cichlids.

Shit! i have four baby Red devils in a tank, it's fine!! no arguments cos they are small so they don't do nothing. But in this tank, i also have 3 Jaguars, 2 Doviis and one Red Devil which is the same size as one of the Jaguars. Although one jaguar is larger then the red devil, he still thrashes every other fish in the tank. I am not saying the jaguars a pussies, because when i take that red devil out, the large Jaguar starts to terrorize other fishes because he is the largest. The doviis are equally aggressive, with one of my dovii, which was much smaller than the jaguar, even fighting face to face.

From what i gather, Red devils often tend to be the dominating fish in any tank, But because of the sheir size that the dovii grows, when mature, it is definite that the Dovii can kill any given fish. They are naturally born to kill other fish, feeding primarily on OTHER fish in the wild. They also have a bloody SHARP set of good teeth.

I also had two Oscars, one oscar was a bit smaller than the largest Jaguar, well you'd think he'd run away. NO, they fought like crazy i had to seperate them. But, when the red devil is in the tank, the oscars run for their dear lives resulting in split, ripped fins and chunks missing out of them after a couple of hours.

I try to raise my fish AGGRESSIVE putting them in with other aggressive fish and always feeding them a combination of live food, primarily using Fast and big feeders.

And "Killbait", the reason your jaguar killed the red devil, is because the Jaguar is in it's home and the Red Devil is in Unfamiliar territory. Try changing the water and rearranging the ornaments and rocks. If that's not the case, you got a pussy of a Red Devil.

#32 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:52 AM

EXACTLY YOU NEED TO MAKE IT FAIR AND CHANGE THE SET UP AND PLACE THE FISH IN WITH A NEW SET UP THEN YOU CAN SEE WHO'S MORE DOMINANT. IT'S REALLY A WASTE TO SEE FISH DIE SO I STOP WASTING MONEY AND JUST READ OTHER PEOPLES COMMENTS ON WHO HAS THA BADDEST CICHLID. AS FO RME THE DOVII IS ON TOP OF THE LIST. I DON'T HAVE A BIG ENOUGH TANK TO HOUSE IT SO I HAVE TO GET RID OF IT PLUS FEEDING IT RAW FISH GETS EXPENSIVE. THATS WHY IM GONNA SETTLE FOR AN ELECTRIC BLUE DEMPSEY AS MY SHOW FISH BECAUSE THAT HAS MORE COLOR OR EVEN A RED TEXAS. I STILL ADMIRE THE DOVIIS BUT THEY SURE ARE COSTING ME A GRIPP OF $$$$ TO FEED.

#33 complex

complex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:17 PM

what can i say....... the terror has only one color..... RED

#34 Guest_larry_*

Guest_larry_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:46 PM

a peacock bass is a cichlid not only are they used to kill Piranha I my self have seen one chase a way a
7 foot long fish at the dallas aquiarm sencod place hati cichlid then dovi the jag

#35 Guest_eric berton_*

Guest_eric berton_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

[size=6]The thing that everyone seems to be leaving out is which fish was in the tank first and for how long. One or more fish may claim the tank "home" first and therefore are much more willing to defend it Also if you have two or more of a single species in a tank with single specimens of other species, the pair are definatly going to "team up" on them, probably for breeding purposes. Another thing to seriously consider is the individual personality of a specimen. I would have to put my money on a "pure bred" red devil (not the midas which many people commonly mistake for the red devil, be sure which one you are talking about.

I have a 75 with two red devils in it, Any one who has ever owned one and has seen my hands and arms would not question this. My right arm looks like it went through a cheese grater from my male devil "Riley" who also takes his aggression out on my magnetic tank cleaner which is often found on the ground. now if you are gonna tell me that another similiar sized fish has the power to knock one of these objects away from the outside magnet I would like to see it.[/

#36 Guest_Harold_*

Guest_Harold_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:13 AM

JD are aggressive fish. It all depens how cichlids are raised. I fed him fish two or three times a week...I think that is why he was so aggressive. I had an 7" or so JD and he killed an Oscar that was way larger than he was.

#37 Guest_Guest_John_*_*

Guest_Guest_John_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:17 AM

My 8" JD would attack erverything in the tank including me when I tried to take him out and clean the tank. He destroyed every little toy I had for him. Funny thing, he even ate ham when I fed it to him once in a blue.

#38 jerrysimsII

jerrysimsII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

[quote name='Wrathchild' date='Jan 31 2004, 04:36 PM' post='43']
Heh, just making small talk-ish. I own 3 red devils currently, so my vote is with them.
[/quote
What about oscelarius, ''peacockbass'' they have got to be the most aggresive i"ve seen.

#39 Guest_mick13422_*

Guest_mick13422_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

Ok I hate to pee in anyones cupcakes but as it seems most of you haven't a clue what your talking about.

I have been an avid Cichlid enthusiast for many years. I have had many different fish over the years and I have to say you cannot possibly predict how aggressive or dominant any certain species will become in a tank. I have in the past had firemouths or convicts take on large red devils, Jack dempseys beating up Jaguars and dovii of equal size and many other examples of the underdog beating the hell out of the previously acclaimed "champions" of the cichlid world. over the years I have come to realize that it all depends on the particular fish in that particular tank. One thing I have noticed however is that when introducing a new fish to a community tank you can pretty much tell within the first month or so what the out come will be. If introducing say four or five different adolescent fish in a tank of well grown aggressive adults three out of four of them will usually wind up being target fish for the older bigger fish to beat on basically because of their overall demeanor which usually consist of very erratic darting around the bigger fish trying to avoid being supper and showing terror quite blatantly as im sure it is the natural response just like the bully in the school yard looking for easy prey. Those fish usually succumb to being prey or at the very most a submissive punching bag the rest of there life, at least until they find a fish smaller and weaker than them to take there aggressions out on. On the other hand it's the ones than keep to them selfs and when approached by the big predators simply, respectfully but very cool and collectively move out of the way. You gotta watch out for these small underdogs because there is a very good chance they will be the next big true predator. They will usually lay low long enough to determine the social status of every fish in the tank. Then they will strike. Taking out all of the fish from the bottom of the pecking order to the top. Not necessarily killing them just beating them enough for them to know they have been surpassed in the social order. They can spot a fake easy enough, by fake I referring to the fish i mentioned earlier who only beat on smaller weaker fish. To a real adolescent predator it is common to take on a fish many times it's size and it usually doesn't take much to put them in there place. Usually when this happens the fish will only take on one or two fish at one time but as it reaches a higher status it will grow larger and stronger in an unusually fast amount of time. as it's less dominant counterparts will grow very slow and will usually not get very large. It seems confidence and over all intelligence seems to be the best determining factor as to a particular fishes dominance. But often enough these true predators wind up being knocked of the social ladder permanently by other predators or disease.

As for the biggest meanest baddest fish I have personally ever had. I would have to say Red Devil, black Channel cat, and an Oscar.

Fish i have kept

Red Devil
red terror
green terror
jack dempsey
oscar
Bificsactium
jaguar
dovii
texas blue
Tilapia buttikofferi
pacu
striped devil
convict
frontosa
black channel cat
midas
firemouth
clown knife
tinfoil barbs
Green guapote

im sure there are a few that have slipped my mind.

#40 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

I have a pair of convicts that hold their own when they are mating. Ounce for ounce - I have to agree - Convicts are extremely aggressive when they perceive anything remotely threatening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users