• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dmorgan

dmorgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 09:48 PM

I've heard people change the water temperature to help fish start mating, do you think you could change the amount of time your light is on to also help? I ask this because many plants begin to flower when you change the light cycle. When you give a plant less light, the plant thinks the season is changing, thus begining the flowering cycle. Perhaps using both techniques you can increase your odds...?
26 Gallon Tank
Aulonocara Maleri: (German Red full size), Stepheni Taiwan, Red Zebra, Yellow Lab, (2) Clown Loaches, Pleco, Iodotropheus sprengerae: (Rusty cichlid), Electric Blue and German Red both about 1 inch.

#2 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 05:49 PM

From what i have heard you should make the fish feel as comfortable as possible, then higher the ph then lower it. Do the same for the water higher then lower. I think this works.

#3 tom50320

tom50320

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:29 PM

raise the temp a bit lower the water and let the water trickle like rain, have had good luck with this. Heard that some breeders have also stopped feeding for two to three days to provoke breeding, but I have never tried this method.

#4 jimbo

jimbo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 04:19 PM

I used to do the temp. up temp. down thing when I first started trying the breeding thing, now I just leave my water temp. between 80 and 82 degrees and do at leased a 25% water change or a little more every week , and my fish spawn like crazy. Most of my females will start holding again in about 2 to 2.5 weeks after I stripe them of there fry. Hope this helps you out. I also run my lights between 10 to 12 hours a day.

#5 warren4066

warren4066

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:44 PM

i don't know if lighting works but i turn em on when i get up and off when i sleep. Do frequent water changes and keep it clean for ur fish due to nitrate level. also depending on the fish you might want to have slabs of rocks so the egg layer can place the eggs on a rock or they'll just do it on the glass but preferably on a slate rock. :)

#6 snatched

snatched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:29 PM

To understand spawning tiggers, you need to know a little bit about the fish's habitat. Lowering the pH and water tempature are commonly suggested but not effective for all fish. Some fish live in areas with dry/wet seasons, the wet season has an abundance of food available while the dry season typically has less or even none. By lowering the pH and the tempature you are simulating the effect of massive amounts of new rainfall and tricking the fish into thinking its the start of the wet season and they get down to business so that they can have their fry while there is ample food to go around. Some fish can be triggered into spawning my changing their diet-Bettas for example need to be conditioned on live foods before they spawn. I haven't heard much on the lighting cycle but it certainly seems possible depending on the type of fish you wanted to spawn.

In areas where there is a less distinctive difference between the seasons, or if the fish lives in a very large body of water, this method can be ineffective. I believe there is little sucess with this method with most Africans because rainfall has little effect on the water chemistry and food supply of something as huge as Lake Malawi. There very well might be other triggers related to the seasons or changes in the lakes but in my experience, most Africans (most Cichlids really) will spawn no matter what (despite my efforts to keep them from it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users