too many fish

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_mike_*

Guest_Guest_mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:23 PM

most of my female fish are expecting. what should i do? i am afraid of having too many fish. i have 150 gallon tank with around 30 fish. i have about 10 babies that i can see through all of the rocks. whats going to happen when the rest of them have their fry?

#2 snatched

snatched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:11 AM

If you don't want to keep the fry, you could do a couple of things:

If you have another tank, you could net out the fry and feed them to your other fish. If you use live feeders, this is a great way to go because you know they are clean.

You could trade them in at a pet store, they will usually give you store credit.

Post something on some buy/sell/trade forums (like the one here) and see if other people want them.

I've heard that keeping catfish/loaches in the tank often decreases the amount of spawning taking place in the tank. They will eat unattended eggs and sometimes fry. You could also try adding an altocomp to the tank, people claim they eat a lot of fry.

Keep a male or female only tank.

Also, netting fry is a real pain. If you don't want them in the tank, its easiest to grab the mom while she is holding and put her in a seperate tank rather than have her release in the main tank and try to get the fry. You can set up a hospital tank for like $25, all you need is a $10 10g, a sponge filter, and a flowerpot or something for the fish to hide under.

#3 MbunaMadKat

MbunaMadKat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Raising my Cichlids, My Dogs and My husband.. he he!!

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:36 AM

depending on what fish you have in that tank too they just might get eaten anyway.. :ph34r:

#4 warren4066

warren4066

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:13 PM

it all depending on the fish and size you have in the 150gallon. it will be chaos in there when they all have eggs due to their protective behavior. mostly all parents are good and they should have their own little area. But some of the fry might get eaten by others cause the mother can't handle all of em.

if you don't want them trade it in for store credit, but it depends on the size and type of fish, they might not even want it and the size is so small that they won't give u much back for ur fish.

its best if you take out the baby and place them in another tank or place dividers. There are more other ways as well. good luck :)

#5 Guest_bambie and kris from arkansas_*

Guest_bambie and kris from arkansas_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:56 PM

most of my female fish are expecting. what should i do? i am afraid of having too many fish. i have 150 gallon tank with around 30 fish. i have about 10 babies that i can see through all of the rocks. whats going to happen when the rest of them have their fry?

we have been breedind cichlids 4 bout 4 years.very few fry from each litter will make it.they need to be put in a 10 gallon until big enough to sell or big enough to put back in the main tank.take the females out that are holding fry and put in a 10 gal she will release in bout 20 to 30 days...thanks...

#6 watrsedg

watrsedg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

The easiest way i found to remove fry and keep them alive is to use a small air pump line. put one end in the tank and have a small bucket sitting lower than the tank. suck on the end sticking out the tank and start a flow coming out, its easier to suck up the fry with the other end in the tank than to try and net them. just have a little tank water alrdy in the bucket for them, and dont start the syphon on the fry, keep it away from them until the water starts coming out, if you dont, you may eat one :) If you want to keep them alive i have usually waited to remove fry when they have been freeswimming for awhile because some fry feed off the mother thru secretions in her skin. If your not worried about saving them then I dont think the group of spawning fish and large amount of fry will hurt anything. just have plenty of caves so they are not fighting for territory. Depending on the size of your tank, Your weak unneeded fish will eventually be eliminated by the others. its natures way of population control :) A pike cichlid is also good for eating fry..they are fast suckers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users