• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 horwarcj

horwarcj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 12:13 PM

I just saw my convicts had laid eggs about 3 days ago! Been watching very closely, and they are very good parents, even keeping away the largest Peacock that i have in there away! I just noticed yesterday that the black spots were just coming in. Not all of the eggs are fertile i think, b/c some of them turned an opaque white. When they do hatch, what would be the best thing to do? Leave them in? Transfer them to my 20 gallon tank? When they get old enough, i was going to be giving some to my father for a new tank that he is going to be getting soon, so i want to have a good majority of them live. If there is anything that i really need to do to keep them alive, i will do it! Any help is also appreciated!!

#2 horwarcj

horwarcj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:36 PM

Okay... all of the eggs have hatched i think. I cant find any of the baby fry, but the parents are still guarding the area like crazy!! I know they feed off of the eggsacks for a few days, but how long will it be before they are free swimming?? Any help is appreciated!!

#3 Guest_angi_*

Guest_angi_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:24 PM

We are new cichlid owners. I do not know the species. I am still trying to id them. We have 2 babies (fry) about 1 month old. They have hidden themselves under rocks. Do you think they will survive? Also, the mother seems to be holding again, around a week now. How often do the get "pregant".

How many fry per batch can we expect and how many do believe would survice?

Do the different species cross breed? The only fish I could id was the yellow lab and I know the mother is a blue ????something or other. She is royal blue with horizontal black stripes. I also have 2 more of these, both males.

Also, would a male that is not the father "babysit"? Any info you can give would be great.

We have a 55 gal tank with a Pengiun Emporer filter, it hangs on the side of the tank the stem that sucks the water has a slotted attachment. The slots are a 32nd of an inch wide and 1 inch tall. would this suck up the fry?

We are advactes of nature taking its course, but we do not want to loose all of the fry. Can they survive if just left in the main tank?
HELP

#4 Guest_sweetie.._*

Guest_sweetie.._*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:01 PM

I have 2 firemouths and two convict cichlids. They are alot smaller than my last convict (to the person that asked, cichlids will cross breed) I never noticed any eggs... I just went in there one day, and I had a little under a thousand babies swimming around in there... I was told that they didn't lay eggs.. Do I need to take them out in order for them to survive. The parents are doing an excellent job of protecting them, however, my concern is the firemouths... will they eat them? And what do I feed the babies?

#5 warren4066

warren4066

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

hey theres no rule of thumb for the babies, you can take the babies out and place them in a differ tank, leave em with parents, place them in a baby net, take the parents out or leave all of them in the tank and place a divider in the tank. Whichever way you think you'll be most successful. If one doesn't work and the fry doesn't make it then don't worry cause if they've mated before more than likely they'll mate again. And if one does work then the next time you have another fry do the same method. Try to feed them liquify no.1 for egg layers. its a baby food for the fry, you don't want to feed them adult food untill they get larger. as your local pet store for liquify food for baby fishes and if they don't have it then you can feed them other food. :)

#6 Guest_margaret_*

Guest_margaret_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:27 PM

I have learned alot about the convict cichild Iam now on my 2nd generation.
If you dont want babies then dont get convicts..They are the #1 best parent fish I have ever seen. Males are biger than females and males have longer fins,also there stripes tend to fade in certain ares when on the defence.
the females will lay eggs every 3 months or so more in the spring time than winter.
They need lots of places to hide in the tank. A small "new" clay flower pot works good and the female will lay eggs there then the male will do his part. After about 3 or 4 days the eggs will hatch. About 100 to 150 fry will be swimming around.
One of the best foods for baby fry I have found is the dry very fine powder type. I mixed a very small amount in a plastic cup with some water from the tank. This will cause the food to sink to the bottom where the fry tend to stay during the first few weeks.
Best of Luck.. I now have to find out whats a fair price for these fry that are about 12 weeks old and any where from 1 to 2 inches long.

#7 ILOVEMR.GOBY

ILOVEMR.GOBY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:24 PM

I have firemouth parents. They usually have 300 eggs. I have had most of them live which of course is the problem. My first batch i separated half and basically watch to see which batch would survive. I found that the parents did a wonderful job and probably better than me most survived in both batches. I only found one problem there is a time when the parents will stop protecting and the fry are free game for any other fish in the tank then you will see them slowly disappear. That is when I fully separated all of them. Again 300 babies are too many fish for anyone person to have. Most people will not buy them until they are much larger. So you may want to consider how many you would like to raise yourself and how much room u have to raise them. I fully enjoy watching the parents chase of other fish three times it size and I allow my firemouths to raise their fry for some time now and then remove only a few from the tank that i can raise. The rest I must say became fish food for the other fish but even then u will be surprise how many will survise without its parent for protection.

April

#8 Guest_tracey_*

Guest_tracey_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:28 AM

Okay... all of the eggs have hatched i think.  I cant find any of the baby fry, but the parents are still guarding the area like crazy!!  I know they feed off of the eggsacks for a few days, but how long will it be before they are free swimming??  Any help is appreciated!!

View Post

it takes about 2 weeks before they start too swimm..im going thru the process right now..good luck..

#9 Guest_tracey_*

Guest_tracey_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:40 AM

Okay... all of the eggs have hatched i think.  I cant find any of the baby fry, but the parents are still guarding the area like crazy!!  I know they feed off of the eggsacks for a few days, but how long will it be before they are free swimming??  Any help is appreciated!!

View Post

it takes about 2 weeks before they start too swimm..im going thru the process right now..good luck..

View Post

can any one help me with this..i have a 125 gallon tank which my cichlids already hatched there fry..they are 2 weeks old and starting too swim...when can i move them too a smaller tank?? as far as feeding them i read about the liquid food which is a good idea but with my tank being so large and if they arent ready for the move..what else can i feed them..has anyone every heard of egg yoke from a hard bolied egg?? if any one can help me with this please e-mail me at rvikings85@aol.com..any help will be greatly appreciate..

#10 Guest_tom_*

Guest_tom_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:51 PM

View Post

View Post

can any one help me with this..i have a 125 gallon tank which my cichlids already hatched there fry..they are 2 weeks old and starting too swim...when can i move them too a smaller tank?? as far as feeding them i read about the liquid food which is a good idea but with my tank being so large and if they arent ready for the move..what else can i feed them..has anyone every heard of egg yoke from a hard bolied egg?? if any one can help me with this please e-mail me at rvikings85@aol.com..any help will be greatly appreciate..

View Post

you will end up killing them is you feed fry egg yoke try getting a bowl and crushing flake food with a stick until its powder or get

#11 Guest_bambie from arkansas_*

Guest_bambie from arkansas_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:24 PM

I just saw my convicts had laid eggs about 3 days ago! Been watching very closely, and they are very good parents, even keeping away the largest Peacock that i have in there away! I just noticed yesterday that the black spots were just coming in. Not all of the eggs are fertile i think, b/c some of them turned an opaque white. When they do hatch, what would be the best thing to do? Leave them in? Transfer them to my 20 gallon tank? When they get old enough, i was going to be giving some to my father for a new tank that he is going to be getting soon, so i want to have a good majority of them live. If there is anything that i really need to do to keep them alive, i will do it! Any help is also appreciated!!

i have been breedind all kinds of cichlids 4 about 4 years including convicts.the parents will fight till the death over their fry.one of my female convicts has no top lip from protecting her fry.the babies and the mom needs to be put seperat if u want them to survive.the dad is not needed now.if u do not they will get eaten no matter how good the parents are.females have orange and pink bellies and males do not.they will have a lot of babies mine had 443 in one litter.they should be swimming in bout 4 or 5 days.if none make it this time they will breed again very soon.thanks......

#12 Guest_bambie from arkansas_*

Guest_bambie from arkansas_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:50 PM

We are new cichlid owners. I do not know the species. I am still trying to id them. We have 2 babies (fry) about 1 month old. They have hidden themselves under rocks. Do you think they will survive? Also, the mother seems to be holding again, around a week now. How often do the get "pregant".

How many fry per batch can we expect and how many do believe would survice?

Do the different species cross breed? The only fish I could id was the yellow lab and I know the mother is a blue ????something or other. She is royal blue with horizontal black stripes. I also have 2 more of these, both males.

Also, would a male that is not the father "babysit"? Any info you can give would be great.

We have a 55 gal tank with a Pengiun Emporer filter, it hangs on the side of the tank the stem that sucks the water has a slotted attachment. The slots are a 32nd of an inch wide and 1 inch tall. would this suck up the fry?

We are advactes of nature taking its course, but we do not want to loose all of the fry. Can they survive if just left in the main tank?
HELP

i have been breeding cichlids 4 bout 4 years now.i will tell u what i no.other males even the father will eat the fry.yes ur filter can suck up the fry.we have had fry sucked up be4.yes they can cross breed.we had a african socolofi zebra and a ali hap breed we got like 70 fry. what you need to do is set up a 10 gallon with a fine gravel and an undergravel filter system.when you notice the female holding fill up the 10 gal with water from your main tank or where the female is coming from,put her in the 10 gal and about 20 to 30 days she will start releasing the fry. she will not eat them but she will suck them back up sometimes aggressively but shes not hurting them.in the main tank most of the fry will not survive.u can expect 30 to 60 fry each brood.they can breed often depends on the fish and enviornment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users